News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tiger charging issues

Started by h2omoto, May 11, 2010, 11:37:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

h2omoto

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I just picked up a 2001 Tiger over the weekend. I have never owned a new age Triumph. I have a few questions about the bike to all you Triumph gooroos. Any help would be great...

1) Is 49,000 miles alot on these motors? I have seen other bikes with 50+ on them just never a Triumph.

2) Do these motors typically make alot of engine noise? I am hearing a small rattling noise that sounds internal at about 4500 to 5500 rpms. If you accelerate through that spot it goes away. If you chop off the throttle and decel through that rpm range there is no noise. Only if you hold it there in that range is the noise evident. It sounds almost like a piston lattering in the cylinder...

3) Does anybody know the charging specs for these bikes? Mine charges at idle @ 13.3 volts at idle. As soon as you rev the throttle the voltage drops to below 12.4 volts. There has to be a problem somewhere. Does anybody know the specs or have a testing diagram for the charging system? I would like to test the charging system parts before I buy any.

4) Where is a good place to buy Triumph parts? There is no dealer in a 80 mile radiaus from me.

Any help would be awesome. Thanks in advance!!!!!
moto-maniac

KuzzinKenny

Hey h2omoto !! Welcome to TT.com !! it helps if you fill yer profile in, what side of the pond yer on ??  :)

49,000 miles aint a lot for a well serviced Tigger, these motors are almost bomb proof  8)

have a looky here for charging help......

http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,5025

have fun !!

KK
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

blacktiger

1, Mine has 60000 on the clock and it's sweet as a nut. Triumph build them strong.

2, Yours is an 885 and they can be a bit agricultural. Best thing to do is find another one to compare.

3, Do the voltage fix by following the link KuzzinKenny gave.

4, Impossible to answer because no-one knows where you live because you haven't filled out your profile. But, there's always the internet.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

Joe Geddes

I would have to agree with the sound of the engine, when I first bought mine I thought it sounded like a tractor and was concerned that I would be looking at a rebuild. Not the case, that's just the way they sound. As for your charging questions make sure it is off the battery before you start spending any money. Previous owner of mine had it jumped off of some lights at the front giving a false reading.

h2omoto

HMMM! 885i you say. I thought it was a 955... :icon_scratch I know on jap bikes the displacement is stamped into the cylinders. I cant find anything on this one.

Any ideas??????

I filled in the blanks on my profile too.  :thumbsup
moto-maniac

Timbox2

Quote from: "h2omoto"HMMM! 885i you say. I thought it was a 955... :icon_scratch I know on jap bikes the displacement is stamped into the cylinders. I cant find anything on this one.

Any ideas??????

I filled in the blanks on my profile too.  :thumbsup

Does it say Triumph on the engine block?, If so,  885.
2016 Tiger Sport

h2omoto

Where on the engine block????

I dont mean to sound like an idiot.
moto-maniac

Bliker

If it's a 2001 it's a 955, I'm pretty sure. Didn't the 955 come out in 01?
2004 Tiger

Timbox2

Quote from: "h2omoto"Where on the engine block????

I dont mean to sound like an idiot.

If your asking that Its probably 955, look at this picture of another members 885, see the Triumph logo on the block. 2001 should be a 955 but there were some late registered models.

http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/4386 ... Custom.jpg
2016 Tiger Sport

oxnsox

Is it not on the papers??
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
  If it ain't Farkled...  don't fix it....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

h2omoto

Well I guess I dont need to worry about that charging issue anymore... At exactly 49000 the old Tiger went belly up.

As I was coming home from work the noise I was talking about at about 4500 to 5500 reared its ugly head. The noise progressively got louder until it went KABOOM... :shock:  Now it still starts and runs but it knocks and sounds like a family of rats with ball pin hammers moved in. So insted of a charging issue I have a engine swap/build in my future.

So if anybody has any helpful tips on a motor swap/rebuild let me know, or wish me luck on my endever...
moto-maniac

oxnsox

¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
  If it ain't Farkled...  don't fix it....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

blacktiger

Quote from: "h2omoto"Well I guess I dont need to worry about that charging issue anymore... At exactly 49000 the old Tiger went belly up.

As I was coming home from work the noise I was talking about at about 4500 to 5500 reared its ugly head. The noise progressively got louder until it went KABOOM... :shock:  Now it still starts and runs but it knocks and sounds like a family of rats with ball pin hammers moved in. So insted of a charging issue I have a engine swap/build in my future.

So if anybody has any helpful tips on a motor swap/rebuild let me know, or wish me luck on my endever...

Bad news indeed. Have to wonder if the previous owner knew something was wrong and got rid.
As for replacement engines. There should be a few crashed bikes with decent engines out there. You need to hunt through the breakers.
Good luck.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.