News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

possible loose connection in key switch

Started by tyger, June 18, 2010, 05:15:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyger

I've had some odd issues last few months and I think I've found the possible root cause.
First the odd issues--
- turn key on, pull clutch hit start and wait two seconds before it starts cranking.
- occasional stumble on rev down to idle or even stall out
- scariest still, turn key and no lights or action

The bottom set me to touching, pushing, pulling on wiring looms and I get some action when pushing on the wiring at the bottom of the key switch. I think when I ran the strap for the fieldsheer tank bag through the frame opening right under there that it might be pulling on the wiring or something. doh!
looks like I will be pulling the tank and front fairing off to examine all this again. Be a good time to play with the air filter again too. I got a K&N and recycled airbox so I can have one to make holes in and a stock one.

Anyone seen a key issue like this, because perhaps it isn't the tank strap?
\'05 Tiger, BRG
tyger, tyger, burning bright...
What immortal hand or eye/ Could frame thy fearful symmetry? (W.Blake)

tyger

It looks like I'm going in to the switch itself. The wiring harness looks good and is zip tied down properly.

I ran the 12-minute reset after putting in a K&N filter and some holes in the airbox. But it was giving me issues-- turn to lock and parking brakes and the dim light in head is on just like it is supposed to, but turn it to run and I get headlight and clock (still) but nothing else. Pushing on the bottom of the switch gets it all lit up.
After the 12-minute reset the switch is crazy hot! The whole area is warm because of the radiator but the switch is crazy hot. I turn it off and remove the key, fans are running, but when I push on the bottom of the switch they cut off and the panel lights up! scary short because there is no key in the ignition at this point.

So, off with her head! in order to get ignition switch, I mean.
<edit>

And heeeeeeeeere's Johny... Looks like I'll be doing some soldering.
\'05 Tiger, BRG

Shtiffirg

logged on today to post a question about my most recent (and probably most serious) issue with my '99 885 and was surprised to see this posting about such a similar problem. My particular issue, however, has been much more progressive. About a week ago, turned the key and tried to start...nothing. Baffled I turned off the key, turned it back on, tried to start...came right to life; really didn't think much of it until the next time. This time i had to turn the key on and off about 7-8 times before she would start. Now i'm getting suspicious. When i start checking things out i notice that when i turn the key on everything lights up nice and bright, indicating to a noob like myself that the battery is ok (and very new), but that the odometer display is blank...but that after hitting the starter switch a couple times it the display would come on. I'm really at a loss at this point because the symptoms are so inconsistent. Sometimes when i hit the starter switch it makes a faint 'click', but other times nothing. Today i got on, turned the key (everything lights up), hit the starter and and it starts for a second then stalls. SHIT. Then i turn off the key, turn it back on and ...NOTHING! The whole damn thing is dead! WTF! I seriously have no idea when to do next. HELP!
-friendly noob

tyger

if you push/pull on the wire loom into the bottom of the ignition key switch does it change? that was indicator that lead me to taking my ignition switch apart.
\'05 Tiger, BRG

Shtiffirg

i guess i cant be sure because i did plenty of pushing, pulling, turning on and off, and cursing...all of of which worked sometimes and didn't other times. i definitely never did anything that obviously worked other than turn the key on and off and try to start over and over.

Shtiffirg

alright, i was thinking that i was having this problem with the ignition switch; but after inspection everything seems fine. I suppose that the switch could be bad but i honestly dont know how to determine that. I can jump start the bike and it will run fine but if i so much as tap on the front brake the motor stalls....i am at a total loss here. i can only hope that someone can tell me what im dealing with here.

Mustang

sounds like a short to ground in the brake light switch wiring if it only happens when you use the front brake ...............

Shtiffirg

i wish it only happened when i used the front brake...went to mess around with it after work today and the damn thing started right up. its a complete mystery.

oxnsox

Wouldn't hurt to check/clean those connections though......
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
  If it ain't Farkled...  don't fix it....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ChazzyB

FWIW, I just replaced my ignition switch. The ignition circuit started getting very unreliable - lights, indicators, etc., still worked fine - I ended up getting recovered to a workshop when on holiday in France.
Charles
1971 BSA A65L Lightning
1953 AJS 18S

Fe Man

Similar issue but not as severe.
Re-soldered, reinforced, poured full of E6000.

Works fine now!

tyger

Mine has occasionally acted up again. What did you fill it with? An epoxy?
\'05 Tiger, BRG

Fe Man

walker

interesting idea on using the E-6000. I'll have to check that stuff out - looks like it could be useful for some things.

Fe Man

I used to represent a speaker manufacturer, used it to replace dust caps on speakers; lots of vibration, temperature swings, etc.

Good stuff