News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Comfortable seat?

Started by Sabertooth, June 22, 2010, 04:15:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sabertooth

Aside from switching bikes with Scot (changing the pressure points from the 955's stock seat to the 1050's Corbin and back again is helpful) what can I do to improve my comfort level on long distance trips?  Holy Hannah, my bum hurt after our ride this weekend.  I had to stop about 6 miles from home because I just couldn't make those final miles.

I hesitate to invest a lot of money into a Corbin for myself because even Scot was having a hard time of it this weekend.  We switched bikes and were quite happy for those last miles, but we should really be able to just switch bikes for the fun of it, not the neccessity.

Any thoughts?  Opinions?
Jane
2006 955i, Caspian Blue
2008 1050 Blaze Orange

Mustang

Hiway bars help a lot . The Cruiser crowd actually got something right .

Yukon

You'll find a couple of threads on seats on this site, "but" the "bottom" line is - the Girly seat has to go.  I replaced mine with a Corbin and I was able to double the mileage that I could ride comfortably, but it is not the perfect answer.

HockleyBoy

Cheap option, stick a beadrider on. They really work and cost very little, I have done 900+ mile days on mine without too much discomfort.

I also find cycling shorts help on long journeys.
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

Advwannabe

Get the Corbin. Huge improvement.

Highway pegs sounds like a good idea too.

I have the combo of 2" bar risors and the Mustang pegs, which have finally allowed me (6'3") to stand comfortably while riding.

Even the Corbin starts to get old after 3 hours or so on IBA runs and the like but now I can bowl along at highways speeds standing up easily for the couple on minutes needed to reset the backside muscle.
No good deed goes unpunished
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180

Timbox2

or try the Airhawk Cushion like I have, brilliant, and you can move it to any bike.

2016 Tiger Sport

cbxtc6

My sheepskin works well, and was only ~ $40.  I have put on several 5-600 mile days in a row with it.

JasonS

Quote from: "Sabertooth"Aside from switching bikes with Scot (changing the pressure points from the 955's stock seat to the 1050's Corbin and back again is helpful) what can I do to improve my comfort level on long distance trips?  Holy Hannah, my bum hurt after our ride this weekend.  I had to stop about 6 miles from home because I just couldn't make those final miles.

I hesitate to invest a lot of money into a Corbin for myself because even Scot was having a hard time of it this weekend.  We switched bikes and were quite happy for those last miles, but we should really be able to just switch bikes for the fun of it, not the neccessity.

Any thoughts?  Opinions?

Deaahh,

My Tiger is off the road due to a lack of rear tire and insurance...

You are more than welcome to borrow my Corbin for a week ... see if you like it...

send me a PM

Jason
\'tweachisown

Photo Journal of my 2009 Texas Trip Being Written Here
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=4 ... 48daf95d7c

Advwannabe

Re the airhawk, worth a try, cheaper than the Corbin and transferable.

I bought mine for the Tiger before I got the Corbin. Still use it on long runs on the Daytona, Corbin on Tigger doesn't need it
No good deed goes unpunished
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180

Timbox2

I was speaking to a guy last year who does a lot of these Iron Butt type rallys.

His ride is actually a Rocket 111 and he had tried everything including a corbin, which he said was Ok for up to 300-400 mile runs, which is probably the most I would normally do in a day, though I have done over 600 on a couple of occasions.
In the end he had a Russell Day Long made to order, mega bucks, but now he says he can easily do the 1000 milers :shock:  :shock:  :shock:
2016 Tiger Sport

Brooks Short

Before I bought my 2006 Tiger I had BMWs for 20 years. Stock BMW seats are just as bad as Tiger seats, maybe worse.  On those BMWs I had every seat available including (in order of worse to best) Corbin, stock with Airhawk, Sargent and Bill Mayer.

Two years ago I had Russell do the front seat of my '06 Tiger. Cost was $360, the same as a new Corbin.

It's the Russell Day long seat that has transformed my bike into a long distance, back road tourer. It's not pretty but it sure is comfortable!
One Less Car

Sabertooth

Jason, you sweet-haht!!

My latest understanding is that the Corbin for the 1050 isn't much different from the 955.  If that's the case, I'm not going to be a Corbin kinda' woman.  But thank you for the offer to borrow your cushion!  

Scot and I seem to reach our limit at the same time (hence the switching of the bikes).

I'm going to try the beaded deal first.

Does anyone else get so sore that you hop your butt up to the passenger seat when you just can't take it anymore?

Just curious.
Jane
2006 955i, Caspian Blue
2008 1050 Blaze Orange

JTT

As a guy coming off a KLR (even with a Corbin), my Tiger seat seems a treat, but I haven't put in any 500 mile days yet.  I'm going the sheepskin route first round.  I can tell you that on the KLR the key is to stand up for 2-3 mins every  hour of so on the saddle.  It lets the blood circulate and makes a huge difference.  I'll be practicing the same technique on the Tiger.
2003 955i Tiger
2005 KLR
1970 T100C

Yukon

Quote from: "Sabertooth"Does anyone else get so sore that you hop your butt up to the passenger seat when you just can't take it anymore?

Just curious.

All the time.  I've done this on every bike that I have owned.

Brooks Short

Quote from: "Sabertooth"Does anyone else get so sore that you hop your butt up to the passenger seat when you just can't take it anymore?

Not since getting the Russell.  :lol:
One Less Car