News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

my Tiger leaked today

Started by yack_ass, July 01, 2010, 05:33:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yack_ass

So, I was riding home from school today, and it was a relatively hoot day. Every thing was working smoothly, no problems. The bikes temperature gauge was showing the temperature to be in the lover third of the scale (as per usual).
On time to time the fan cut in (during really slow slpeed in trafic jams).

Once I came to the garage, the fan was runing, but before I've put it in, it had stopped (nothing out of the ordinary, or is it?) --> my thinking is, that it has a temperature sensor, and when the air flow trough the radiator is not high enough, it helps it with the fan.

Anywho, while I was in the garage, getting undresed, I've notice a strange noise comin from the motorcycle. I couldn't decide there and then, where the origin was, but after (lets say, I really don't know) 5 seconds, I start to hear a noise simmilar to "water on hot metal" (of course my reaction was SH*T).
I looked down, and on the right side (where the rear brake leaver is), there was some liquid dripping on the tail pipe. All of a sudden it just started pouring. And then it stopped, I have no idea how much liquid it was, but it was noticable).
After a fast inspection (had an exam, was tired) I saw, that the origin is from a tube, which looks like it is some sort of breather tube (is that a right expression?), but I didn't find out where it goes, nor did I find it in the service manual.
The liquid is not oil, nor fuel, so basically it can only be the cooling fluid.
Back to the first noise, I could still hear some "hissing", and I proceeded to the cap of the cooling liquid reservoir (on the dash board), and when I removed it it stoped (probably some vaccum formed).

My question, how big of a problem is this? The reservoar  (with indicators) for the cooling liquid is full, a little bit under the max bar when the motorcycle is upright (me sitting on it).
Is the engine going to crap out on me, did the guy who sold it "put a fast one on me"?
I am scared and concerned.  :oops:

completely unrelated, when i removed the seat I've noticed that:

the vaccum connection has no hose on it (no hose to be found around it :?: )

iansoady

It was probably just overfilled to start with. The tube you mention is intended to do just what it did - it's an overflow from the expansion tank (the translucent thing under the fairing). When the bike cools down you should find the level in there drops as the engine cooling system sucks it back in. If it doesn't you may have one or more minor problems (rad cap, crossed coolant lines etc).

Don't worry.... yet......

Oh, and there isn't a pipe on the pressure sensor which is what you indicate. At least on 2002-onward Girlies. Earlier ones can have had it removed with no problems.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Sasquatch

Keep an eye on your coolant level.  If it raises and lowers in the overflow tank more than you think it should, replace your radiator cap.  The quality of radiator caps has gone down drastically in the last few years.  They only seem to last a couple of years now.  I have replaced mine twice in 6 years.

Chris Canning

Some years ago now,but riding down through Italy in temps close on 40c we had been riding on the motorway well into 3 figures most of the day,at one fuel stop also stayed long enough for a bite to it,came out 20 minutes later with a pool of water under bike :? ,hadn't done it before and never done it since,it's a Triumph their not an exact science you know.

diggerT

I have had the exact same thing 3 times in the last week. First time I put it on the sidestand and coolant pi**ed out of the overflow pipe. I put some more coolant in and then a week later it happened again. Just got back from another ride and the same thing though this time it's up higher as well on the horn and dripped onto front mudguard. The engine isn't indicating running hot though the coolant in the reservoir is pretty warm. Level has dropped as well (obviously) but still above minimum. Any ideas? Went round a hot Spain last summer with no issues!

KuzzinKenny

Quote from: "diggerT"I have had the exact same thing 3 times in the last week. First time I put it on the sidestand and coolant pi**ed out of the overflow pipe. I put some more coolant in and then a week later it happened again. Just got back from another ride and the same thing though this time it's up higher as well on the horn and dripped onto front mudguard. The engine isn't indicating running hot though the coolant in the reservoir is pretty warm. Level has dropped as well (obviously) but still above minimum. Any ideas? Went round a hot Spain last summer with no issues!

Hey diggerT !! if you think its coming from around the expantion tank it could be the nylon elbows that have cracked, they do seam to be a bit weak and brake easy !! as far as i can remember, the ID of the pipe is 8mm !! i wouldn`t get OEM ones cos they`ll just brake again but they do need to be resistant to heat, anti-freeze and oil !!

KK
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

BigMark

OK - Blonde moment

How does the Radiator cap affect the rise and fall in the expansion tank?

No, i really dont know anything...

Mine done the same thing once, hasn't done it since though. I shouldn't worry for now !

Chris Canning

If the radiator cap leaks,you'll end with an air lock because there is still water above it in the header tank,and hence  the system spitting it's dummy out,or should that be water,thats why it's so important when changing the coolant you take you time re-filling the system.

oradbaforpsoft

I had the same problem after a tip over in the few few months of ownership.
Took it to the dealer to check it out - apparently there are two connectors to the coolant breather/overflow and occasionally the factory gets them switched around. My hoses were!  After changing them around , flushing the system and refilling - never had the problem re-occur - now 7 years old.
Dave in KCMO: 2003 Tiger 955i - Lucifer Orange