News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Center stand install a success. But found other issues??

Started by Gungho1989, June 30, 2010, 07:12:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gungho1989

Wife got tired of the box sitting in the kitchen floor so  I finally made time to tear into the bike and get the Center stand installed that you gents recommended here.

Fortunately it was straightforward and rather simple. Would have had it done in two or three hours if I didn't end up digging deeper into the bike.
 Now it is spread in parts and pieces all across the Garage.

Started removing covers and such for the Center stand install, figured while I was getting into the bike a little bit I would look things over a bit and familiarize myself with it a bit more.

Found one of the airbox covers and filter completely gone!?
  Several loose and missing  bolts?!
 Two anchor points on the panels busted out.  
  Header bolts were Hand tight. I was literally able to loosen some of them without a bloody wrench. Fortunately I already had the Gaskets on standby.
 Figured at Midnight it was time to come in after Several hours of wrenching and looking the bike over, I figured Ide better give it a rest,

Now tomorrow I am off to the Triumph dealer to get some more gaskets and hopefully the Filter and cap for the right side box, My right rear turn signal needs replaced going to order it tomorrow as well.
 Never seize, oil and coolant from the local Cycle outfitter or Wally world then back in the garage.
 I am hoping that I can find most of the Missing bolts locally but am sure there may be some that will have to be ordered or picked up from Triumph.

is this a Repair?

Kid wondering at the strength of Dads Rigging. no faith.

This is how she looked at midnight. Parts all over the place and I still have not found the problem with the Tach, ARRHGH

What the boy and I  did on the other day off   :D

Now If I could just get a old west style scabbard for this on my tigger, I could go adventure Zombie slayin!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
"A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government strong enough to take everything you have" - Thomas Jefferson

Gungho1989

Why would the cap on the right side Air box have not been used and did this cause any problems.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
"A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government strong enough to take everything you have" - Thomas Jefferson

Mustang

actually your blanking cap is on the left side
on a tiger one side is capped off and the other has a snorkel with a baffle in it , doesn't really matter what side is open as long as it's only one open .
if you run with both open you need to be in the 112 range for main jets and need some other fiddling with the carbs .
The best all around performance with mikuni carbs comes the way the bike was set up from factory .

see the bike bandit diagram of the airbox

Gungho1989

ahh ok so my bike is missing the snorkel.
 I really at this time don't want to mess with jetting so just the way it is is good with me and if the best performance is the way the bike came then Ill leave it be as well.
 I am just getting started on putting it back together, been out running getting everything I need, filter, oil, coolant etc.
 I am sure I I got along Ill be running down to the hardware looking for fasters,
 I still haven't run down that tack problem though, its aggravating but not vital I guess.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Gungho1989

putting the headers back on the only thing I never seize is the studs right? or should I also do the front outside edge of the flange.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Gungho1989

Ok just never seized the studs and put it together.
 Somebody forgot to mention or I missed it but you need to have your center section with the balance tube on prior to tightening the header bolts or you have to loosen them back up, unfortunately for me that meant undoing a whole bunch of already done.  :oops:

Well its all back together and a whole lot quieter, and the head Mechanic at triumph says "aww that's normal", he didn't know any better either.

I heard and read these things were noisy even questioned them a couple of times on it but I think that's all they had heard too.
 Its sitting behind me now just thrumping away sounding much better!!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

nightrunner

Quote from: "Gungho1989"Well its all back together and a whole lot quieter, and the head Mechanic at triumph says "aww that's normal", he didn't know any better either.

Yeah I had a Triumph dealer mechanic tell me that my noisy steamer was normal.  It had the DAR rattle.
Scott

Seeking adventure and peril

Gungho1989

Just got back from a little ride. Woohoooo what a difference a little wrenching and maintenance makes.

QuoteYeah I had a Triumph dealer mechanic tell me that my noisy steamer was normal. It had the DAR rattle.

That is the one thing I hope I can avoid, Ive been at it for two days with the tiger and have gotten over alot of the apprehension that I had about wrenching on it, really not as bad as I thought it would be.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

JetdocX

Screw the snorkle.  It just picks up the dust your rear wheel is throwing up and directs it to your $80 airbox filter.  I think a couple bucks spent on a Uni Filter is a wiser use of your cash and time.
From parts unknown.

Gungho1989

Pulled the cover for the front sprocket today and the sprocket was loose.
Got it tightened up and took the bike back out for spin and I think I will be back in it again.
Everytime I eliminate one noise I notice another and this one I am hearing now scares me a bit. I am going into the alternator this weekend and hoping for the best.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ