News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Head lights acting up?

Started by ramseybella, July 05, 2010, 04:44:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ramseybella

Went for a ride friday and got caught in heavy rain with my 98, well when I got home I turned the key off and lights stayed on turned the high and low beam switch off and on and then turned the key on then off that worked.

I also have driving lights wired into the high beams from the guy I bought it from, so I went on a 300+ run yesterday to Alamosa Colorado and was heading back to New Mexico at night turned on my high beams and no highs or driving lights only both low beams worked.

Took it apart today and my right low beam bulb burned out when I turned the key on, checked fuses  they are good high and low switch works because i can hear the relay clicking when I hit the switch no bad looking wires in the harness the driving light wiring looked poor so I am looking for new bulbs and will rewiring the drivers.

Who has good prices on H4 Bulbs and any hints on what could be wrong with me lights?

oxnsox

Since each filiment, high - low, left - right, is controlled by a seperate relay and it seems you're losing two at a time it may help to look at the handlebar control switch.  Give it a clean, but remember it has power in there if the keys on.
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
  If it ain't Farkled...  don't fix it....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mustang

actually the plastic cases on the relays suck , and in the rain they got water in them which was keeping things nice and shorted so that the relay had a closed circuit direct to battery .  it happens to steamers , have seen this same scenario a couple of times now ......once on one of my own tiggers and on others bikes

if you ride in the rain alot it would be worth replacing the relays and make sure they are sealed on the plastic case , you can use any good brand of silicone sealer to seal em up

ramseybella

Quote from: "Mustang"actually the plastic cases on the relays suck , and in the rain they got water in them which was keeping things nice and shorted so that the relay had a closed circuit direct to battery .  it happens to steamers , have seen this same scenario a couple of times now ......once on one of my own tiggers and on others bikes

if you ride in the rain alot it would be worth replacing the relays and make sure they are sealed on the plastic case , you can use any good brand of silicone sealer to seal em up

This was the first time in the rain got caught off guard, as far as the relays I take it Triumph is the only place to get them?

Thanks again for letting me pick your brain.

JetdocX

Radio Shack has relays.  But they will be of the same "quality" as the ones you have that say Triumph on them.  Maybe a marine store if you want waterproofness?
From parts unknown.

ramseybella

Quote from: "JetdocX"Radio Shack has relays.  But they will be of the same "quality" as the ones you have that say Triumph on them.  Maybe a marine store if you want waterproofness?

Cool I can seal them, thanks Jet!!

ramseybella

Good old NAPA one of the Relays was bad, changed both bulbs relocated the Driving lights and now one of them is bad I am just going to replace them they are old anyway..

oxnsox

Marine relays aren't waterproof....  well none that I have used have been.
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
  If it ain't Farkled...  don't fix it....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

abruzzi

Something about New Mexico steamers headlights I think, my low beams just died yesterday.  Haven't investigated yet, but I need to fix it by Saturday (leaving for a week ride on Sunday) or else I have to take the ktm...  Any thoughts what would kill the low beams entirely, leaving only high beams?

Geof

Mustang

Quote from: "abruzzi"Something about New Mexico steamers headlights I think, my low beams just died yesterday.  Haven't investigated yet, but I need to fix it by Saturday (leaving for a week ride on Sunday) or else I have to take the ktm...  Any thoughts what would kill the low beams entirely, leaving only high beams?

Geof
headlight relay .............

ramseybella

Quote from: "Mustang"
Quote from: "abruzzi"Something about New Mexico steamers headlights I think, my low beams just died yesterday.  Haven't investigated yet, but I need to fix it by Saturday (leaving for a week ride on Sunday) or else I have to take the ktm...  Any thoughts what would kill the low beams entirely, leaving only high beams?

Geof
headlight relay .............

Yup!
It was not the one attached to the headlight back, it was the other one, in short if it makes no clicking when you flip the switch it's bad.

Go to <NAPA>

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: "abruzzi"or else I have to take the ktm...  Any thoughts what would kill the low beams entirely, leaving only high beams?

Geof

:shock: Nooo ... if you can't find a relay buy some bum ointment  :wink:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

aeronca

geof, check your high beam switch. when i first got mine i had the same prob. turned out the switch had corrosion inside. cleaned her up and has been happy since :thumbsup
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: "Sin_Tiger":shock: Nooo ... if you can't find a relay buy some bum ointment  :wink:

I apologise that didn't read right, I was of course aluding to the KTM seat not being as comfortable for distances, please tell me that's what everybody thought  :oops:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Mustang

Quote from: "Sin_Tiger"
Quote from: "Sin_Tiger":shock: Nooo ... if you can't find a relay buy some bum ointment  :wink:

I apologise that didn't read right, I was of course aluding to the KTM seat not being as comfortable for distances, please tell me that's what everybody thought  :oops: