News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Hard to start on hot restart. No idle.

Started by DKWrider, July 12, 2010, 01:13:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DKWrider

I have been riding my (new for me) 2000 Tiger around and back to the house just to get used to it.  Basically starting it, riding it, and parking it.

Yesterday I took it out to run some errands.  Fairly warm day in the 80s.  I noticed the first time I stopped to run an errand, that the bike didn't want to start as quickly as it didwhen cold.  Normally fires right up and idles smooth when started cold.  Observed the same longer start time when I made the other stops.  Starter was cranking fine, just didn't seem like the engine wanted to catch.

Today, took it out for a fairly long ride during the day.  Stopped for awhile to get a drink, and again a little difficult to start but it did and ran fine.  Rode it home and pulled in the driveway.  Garage was closed so I opened up the garage and tried to start the bike to pull it into the garage.  Really difficult to start and once it did it wouldn't stay running.  Got it running and took it around the block.  Everytime I pulled in the clutch, it would die.

When I pulled it into the garage the fan ran for around 5 seconds then shut off.  That is only the second time I have heard the fan run.  Coolant temperature was just above line that I believe indicates normal temp.  Never has gotten but just a few ticks above that line when riding.  Normally warms up to there and sits on that line unless riding slow.  Coolant level was between Max and Min.

Gas level is showing just below a half.

Bike has a little over 31000 miles on it.  Don't Know when the last time the valves were checked (if ever).

After a few hours, I went in the garage and fired it up.  Quick start and idled fine.

Anybody have a clue as to what may be going on?
2000 Lightning Yellow Tiger

Timbox2

Quote from: "DKWrider"  Everytime I pulled in the clutch, it would die.

Thats where I would start looking, you say apart from this bike runs fine, so I would try and rule out the clutch switch first or something in that circuit
2016 Tiger Sport

DKWrider

Doesn't do it when the bike is cold.  Only when warm.  Just wouldn't idle.  That is why it would die when the clutch was pulled in when I rode it around the block.  As long as I revved it above idle level I could keep it running even with the clutch pulled in.  Could it still be the clutch switch?

Had the tank off recently if that is of any help to anyone.

Mustang

clutch switch will only effect the starter motor circuit ...has nothing to do with a running engine

DKWrider

I believe I may have the answer for the idle issue.  Rider error.

I am new to riding FI bikes.  When I am sitting on my dirt bike (which has a carburetor) and try to start it when the engine is warm , I always have my hand on the throttle and press the starter button with my thumb.  I remember doing that in my driveway when I had the problem.  I often have to give my dirt bike just a bit of throttle to start when it is warm.  I believe what happened is that I may have reverted back to my dirt bike starting technique and may have rolled on the throttle some when trying to start my Tiger.  I believe that could mess up the throttle position sensor temporarily.  From now on no hand on the throttle when starting.

Rode the bike yesterday and no issues.

walker

yeah, mine did that one time.... I think it was the same thing..... I had the throttle twisted as I had started it. After turning the key off, then back on, it reset and was fine.

tried to reproduce the error, never have been able to, which is good. Could also have been another control, like the idle air solenoid acting up I suppose.

DKWrider

Still not starting very fast when the engine is warmed up though.  The guy I was riding with yesterday even noticed that it took awhile to start.  Normal or not for the 885i?

Mustang

not normal
it should jump right to life with just a stab of the button when warm ........

DKWrider

Quote from: "Mustang"not normal
it should jump right to life with just a stab of the button when warm ........

Any ideas?  Seems to crank strong.

Mustang

on an FI bike it could be a number of things
have you tried the 12 minute tune to reset the sensors ?

DKWrider

Going to try that maybe tomorrow.  I need to find the post where it is described as my shop manual has not arrived yet.

walker

when you had the tank off, did you mess with any of the vacuum lines? I know there is the cold air system (Idle Air Control solenoid)... if one of those hoses is loose it might act up a bit like you describe too.

DKWrider

Quote from: "walker"when you had the tank off, did you mess with any of the vacuum lines? I know there is the cold air system (Idle Air Control solenoid)... if one of those hoses is loose it might act up a bit like you describe too.

Not intentionally but you know how that goes.  I put the hoses back on like they were already, but no telling that they were correct in the first place.  I never had any experience with starting the bike when warm during my inspection before purchase.  Only a cold start so could have been like that even before I pulled the tank.

I will be removing the tank again soon to replace the plastic fittings so I will pour over all the lines again then.  Good suggestion.  Thanks.

John Stenhouse

Are you trying to start with throttle? Cos if you are, don't. The injection will sort that out.
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting