News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Okay Gang I'm gettin 35 mpg?

Started by Jaythro, July 20, 2010, 02:59:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaythro

Thats low isn't it?

Oops Recalc

33mpg BUT that was a lot of Hoonin around the Motorways and doing flying marshall at a road event

aeronca

i pull about  38-40 with my 95'. but i like to go fast :twisted:  i ran it out once - bone dry - 265 mile on the tank. i usualy get my light at about 215-220.
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

cascadetiger

My 98 gets 40-44.  My light comes on at 165 miles or so.  I know there is a lot of fuel in the tank but its distracting to see that light.  I put 245 miles on a tank once and still hadnt hit reserve yet.

MtheTiger

Tigger Caspian Blue 1997 with Mikuni's, Daytona cams & BOS racecans.
Main jet 128  (105=standard).
I get 250 kms on a tank and another 60 or so on reserve (I ride fast).

With standard setting you must be able to get 19 kms outofa liter I think.
I make barely 13.

Grtz

M
-Only dead fish go with the flow-

97 Caspian blue

Jaythro

Light comes on at 120 to 125 and I get 20 litres approx in there

Not having bought a manual yet

S'me Burfday Soon so I am hoping LOL

What is the tank capacity on a 96 Steamer Chaps and chapesses :-D

Mustang

Quote from: "Jaythro"What is the tank capacity on a 96 Steamer Chaps and chapesses :-D

6.1 US Gallons

mikunis are thirstier than Keihins

a box stock Mikuni carb setup should be seeing 40 US mpg as long as the rpm's are kept under 5500 rpm anything above that and your gas mileage will dip to 35 US mpg or even worse

I've ridden across texas for 700 miles in a strong headwind with Keihin carbs and only saw 27 mpg

Jaythro

6.1 / 1.2 = 5.08 Imp gallons

5.08 * 4.54 = 23.07 litre

I used 22 litres for 161 miles

and 22 litres is 5.08 Us gall

161 / 5.82  =  27mp g (US)

:shock:   :shock:   :shock:

Oh And I Found this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triumph_Tiger_900

Mustang

Quote from: "Jaythro"6.1 / 1.2 = 5.08 Imp gallons

and 22 litres is 5.08 [/size]Us gall

161 / 5.82 [/size] =  27mp g (US)

you made a huge boo boo in your math
it's more to the tune of 31.66 mpg but still is poor have you been riding it hard with rpms up high ?

Jaythro

Quote from: "Mustang"
Quote from: "Jaythro"6.1 / 1.2 = 5.08 Imp gallons

and 22 litres is 5.08 [/size]Us gall

161 / 5.82 [/size] =  27mp g (US)

you made a huge boo boo in your math
it's more to the tune of 31.66 mpg but still is poor have you been riding it hard with rpms up high ?

I corrected the division line but not the line above it there are 3.78 litre per US gallon 5.82 was right for 22 litres

I was riding it hard over the weekend Doing Flying marshall at an event but it always seems to bring the light on @ 120 to 125 and always seem to be 20 litres ish

Tailpipes are black too Yeugh Looks like I'm gonna have to go in there !

I did blow the airfilter out a bit with an airline and it did help but I am thinkin it needs done again

You can tell a car firm designed the bloody thing can't you? I mean what motorcycle firm would have made the air filter stuff such a Bollox!

i.e. Cosworth

Mustang

a new air filter should help with mpg
also while you are in there check the o rings on the float assemblies .......if they are old and tattered the beast will consume too much fuel due to leaks
ie gas flow not really shutting off
also check your pilot screw settings they should be at about 1 1 /2 turns out
if they are at 1.5 already try setting at 1 turn out

soot on the tail pipe is not good  too rich

BTW I have a 98 with Keihins that is a solo bike and regularly sees 45-50 mpg  US

I have  another 98 that is jetted exactly the same but hauls a sidecar around and it only sees 24  US mpg

how you use em makes a huge difference on gas mileage

I can ride the 95 of mine with mikunis and get really bad mileage .the wife can ride it and see high 40's for mileage
again depends how you use / ride it ! :wink:

Nick Calne

Quote from: "Jaythro"Oh And I Found this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triumph_Tiger_900

Yeah, we of this website, wrote it!

45mpg (UK) is possible if you keeps the revs and speed down.  I'm guessing the roads round me are similar to those round you Jay... sort of....a bit.
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

97tiger885

I have a '97 with Mikunis. My speedo is accurate per my GPS.  Over the last two years and 40,000 miles, I have gotten 41 mpg US at 60 mph and 34 mpg US at low speeds in town.  This is with 10% ethanol.  In winter with oxygenated fuel, the mc gets 10% less mpg.  I typically get 36-37 mpg US.  One time I got 23 mpg US  and that was due to a clogged air filter.  My '85 K100RS gets 46/42 under the same conditons.

NeilD

Quote from: "Jaythro"[but it always seems to bring the light on @ 120 to 125 and always seem to be 20 litres ish

I've only just got the light working on mine and it comes on between 160 and 180, the latter being after a slightly slower bimble... havent had to go on to reserve in either case - i think the tank is 25 litres with 5 of that being reserve..  seems to average around 45 mpg (imperial) whatever I do, although it crept up to nearly 50 after a trip which was mostly bimbling around backroads at 50 mph..  my Kehin equipped TBS does 50 mpg whatever I do on it...

abruzzi

So if I found a set of Kehins, could they drop into a 95 and net me 10mpg increase, or is there more that needs to be done?

Geof

Mustang

plug and play but the boots to the air box are different IIRC