News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Need the chain guard?

Started by cousindave, July 21, 2010, 06:20:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cousindave

A quick question... My 95 steamer does not have the chain guard on it. I know I'll never stick my foot in it while moving. Is there any reason, safety or functional, to require the chain guard be intact?

I have no center stand, hence, it sure is a lot easier to lube the chain without the guard on  :wink:

cousindave

Quote from: "CoolHandLuke"Yes, a chainguard is a legal requirement.

Ahhhhh I should have known the unsightly piece had an underlying reason for being there. Guess I'll be getting one on there soon then. The factory guard is a little, well, how do I say, unsightly. Is there a better looking guard available that bolts up without modification?

Thanks for the reply CoolHandLuke!

CoolHandLuke

Aye, you can buy a hugger from a sprint 900(?) of that era and fit that with only a slight modification.

CoolHandLuke

I forgot to add the best part... they only cost about £30.00 :)

cousindave

Quote from: "CoolHandLuke"Aye, you can buy a hugger from a sprint 900(?) of that era and fit that with only a slight modification.

That's a cool idea! I assume the mod you are talking about is the screw used to secure it on the caliper side of the arm? Anything else you had to do?

crustycrutch

That looks excellent - another farkle for my list. Coolhandluke - what pannier rack is that? Regards, CRusty

CoolHandLuke

Quote from: "crustycrutch"That looks excellent - another farkle for my list. Coolhandluke - what pannier rack is that? Regards, CRusty

That is made by Hepco & Becker:

http://www.motorbikesandparts.co.uk/hepcobecker-black-pannier-rack-triumph-tiger-up-to-1998-ple-p-10383.html?osCsid=0111867d13f7c6ab0ea8449b636597fe

CoolHandLuke

Quote from: "cousindave"
Quote from: "CoolHandLuke"Aye, you can buy a hugger from a sprint 900(?) of that era and fit that with only a slight modification.

That's a cool idea! I assume the mod you are talking about is the screw used to secure it on the caliper side of the arm? Anything else you had to do?

Aye, I had to drill a hole and put a self tapping stainless screw in the right hand arm.  You also need to expand the hole to accommodate the mounting for the brake torsion bar (make it a curve to avoid stress points).

CoolHandLuke

Right, I spoke to a bike MOT tester to confirm this.

It is illegal by law not to have a chain guard.  How ever, you cannot fail an MOT for not having one, though they can give you an advisory.