News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Hit by blind driver

Started by Rocinante, July 22, 2010, 12:14:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocinante

Quote from: "Mustang"possible the air filter sucked up some oil ......gas in crankcase ..............stuck float maybe .  Just some thoughts that might cause poor low rpm running

Hmm, should I gamble on taking it for a spin and see if it clears up by itself, or should I not? I´m tempted. The gas was turned off so if anything found its way down into the crankcase, it cant be much.  Maybe do an oil shift just to be sure.

Bob, the screen will be made from 3mm(0,12") thick polycarbonate. It will have a sharp bend on each side that runs from top to bottom to stiffen it up, and if they do it the right way, it will bend outwards horizontally, while being perfectly straight seen from the side. I am enthusiastic and think it will be an improvement. Behind the screen there will be more room for the gps and earlier mentioned Sixo, both high up and very visible also when standing.
www.dagjen.no
Once upon a time through North and South America:
www.rocinantestravels.com

Rocinante

Here´s the only real crack in the front subframe. You´re looking at it from above the instruments. The white/grey circles on black background on a angle to the left of the crack are the idiot lights. Get the picture?

I´ll probably take the whole subframe off the bike and get it welded and straightened. For now it´s bent back into shape and I am thinking of how to reinforce it temporarily (probably a permanent temporary fix, but what the heck).
www.dagjen.no

Mustang

You will need to remove it and get it welded , the subframe broke on my 95 and the headlights as well as fairing bounce bad on every little bump in the road .........there is no temp fix it needs welding to support the weight of everything that hangs off it .

93TigerBill

Quote from: "Mustang"You will need to remove it and get it welded , the subframe broke on my 95 and the headlights as well as fairing bounce bad on every little bump in the road .........there is no temp fix it needs welding to support the weight of everything that hangs off it .

I'll second that - the subframe on my '93 cracked; temp fix didn't last long.
Permanent fix was removal, re-align, strengthen with gussets etc (and a mate who's a craftsman welder): 20,000 km later - all good.

Regards,
Bill
Bill  IBA# 45911
Newcastle, Australia
\'93 Tiger Caspian Blue
130,000 km & counting!

Bob Tosi

Please post pics when You get the finished product.  Looks like a good design.  
Would it maybe be possible to get another one from your fabricator?
Don't ever sell a Steamer !Steamers Rule!"

Rocinante

Hmmm, ok ok I get it. Thinking about it I see clearly what you mean about welding, I just didn´t want to because of the meeting next week. I´ll see what I can get done.

Quote from: "Bob Tosi"Please post pics when You get the finished product.  Looks like a good design.  
Would it maybe be possible to get another one from your fabricator?

The easiest and cheapest solution would be if I sent you photos with the measurements. Then you take that to any local car glass/shield repair shop and ask if they can do it for you. It´s straight forward with only two bends in the same direction.

But let´s see how this one turns out first.
www.dagjen.no

Rocinante

Here´s the new screen.

I like the simple and straight forward shape, but dislike the clear transparency. It looks like a window. I´ll probably cover it with plastic film on one of the sides.

It´s also about 5 cm too tall for me, even with my height, and creates too much turbulence. I´ll cut it down myself.

The workshop just cut it from the mock-up I madfe. Then I took to a tool shop with a plate bender (or whatever it´s called) and bent it myself. Cost me about 50-60 USD.
www.dagjen.no

Rocinante

OK ok, I didn´t like it either in the end. Judging by the lack of response I guess the front window didn´t quite fall in taste. One night later I see what I need to do, or think so at least, more to come later on that issue.

On another issue, I´m now looking at a bike with the carbs off and wonder where to start searching for the reason for the poor running. I really have no clue about carbs but are reading up on the subject.

As I said before, it lay in the gravel for about 15 hours on it´s left side after the collision, nicely placed there by the salvage company, even though it was standing when they came. They will hear from my insurance company.

Symptoms:
- starts fine and runs rough on idle. If I don´t adjust the idle high up it stalls
- from idle and up to half throttle (ca) it runs poor, like it´s missing a cylindre
- above that it runs like hell, ie the way it should

I have checked:
- Air filter for oil and there seem to be some, but comparing the left and right ends of the filter they look the same, slightly dirty but nothing much.
- The carburetors inlet and outlet looks fine, all three.
- All three plugs have nice sparks.
- The centre plug looked slightly different from the rest, se pics below, the bottom one is the right plug, and the left looked the same, while the top one shows a rather black centre plug
- Battery is new and the voltage is spot on.

I am as said, reading up on the subject, but if amnyone has a suggestion of where to go from here, please come forward....

Dag
www.dagjen.no

Mustang

Quote from: "Rocinante"Symptoms:
- starts fine and runs rough on idle. If I don´t adjust the idle high up it stalls
- from idle and up to half throttle (ca) it runs poor, like it´s missing a cylindre
- above that it runs like hell, ie the way it should

Dag
98 with Gill coils .correct ?

That is the symptom of a failing coil usually , the gills were manufactured with crappy wire that corrodes until it breaks on the internal wiring and the spark can still make the jump across the broken wire but not under a compression load , IE idle to half throttle .

When it is the coils causing the problem you would swear on a stack of bibles that you had a carb problem , been there done that on 1 of my 98's
you can see if you can find the bad coil by figuring out which cyl. isn't firing at idle .try feeling the headpipes on the exhaust find the cold one that's the one not firing  switch coils with another cylinder and see if you move the problem to a diff cylinder .

maybe the crash was enough of a shock to cause the coil to screw up

your symptoms sound like coil failure

harre

If you don't like your windshield, perhaps the old one can be reused. I have modified my MRA windshield by bending the top 5 cm using a heat blower. Now it works fine without buffeting.
For solving the running issues. I would start with the fuel delivery, check for water in fuel, check the tank filter and check inline filter and check the air vent.

Rocinante

Yes, Gills

Tried to swap cylinder 2 and 3 and still it´s the centre that don´t fire at iddle. So it´s not the coils, I guess, unfortunately, since I have a spare...

That points to the centre carb doesn´t it?

PS An alternativ to touching the ever warmer pipes is to throw water on them. On the warm pipes the water evaporates immediately.
www.dagjen.no

Rocinante

Quote from: "harre"If you don't like your windshield, perhaps the old one can be reused. I have modified my MRA windshield by bending the top 5 cm using a heat blower. Now it works fine without buffeting.
For solving the running issues. I would start with the fuel delivery, check for water in fuel, check the tank filter and check inline filter and check the air vent.

The existing one is in a thousand pieces, a MRA like yours. It was nice, but I believe I´ll get that perfect windshield by trial and error.:)

Checked filters and delivery. Do you mean the engine air vent or what?

The problem seems very connected to carb no 2 at the moment.
www.dagjen.no

Rocinante

I´ll call my dealer tomorrow and see if he can take it in within the next few days. I hate carburetors....

Here´s a modified windshield, same thing but cut 5 cm lower, narrowed towards the top and painted matte black. I am thinking of putting some BRG color to it as well, but haven´t decided yet:
www.dagjen.no

Rocinante

I see I´m the only one following up this subject, but why not...

I am a happy man today. The poor running has been resolved and now she runs perfect again...:D

Yesterday I took the bike for a 100km ride and tried out different scenarios. What I discovered was this:
The poor response on the centre cylinder was purely related to throttle position, not rpm´s. Then I remembered that when I opened up the gas reservoir on that carb, I cleaned out a lot of dirt from it. Since the bike spent about 15 hours on the side, some of that dirt found it´s way into the pilot jet. I have no proof, other than it took some blowing of both carb cleaner and high pressure air to open that particular jet.

So she´s back on the road...:D

Dag
www.dagjen.no

Mustang

we're just quietly following along  8)