News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

BAD CDI on a 96

Started by fepn26, July 22, 2010, 11:35:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fepn26

I have a 96 Tiger which I love, but the CDI is gone and blowing $800 dollars on a computer that has the same computing capacity as a modern calculator hurts the wallet and common sense.  I have been looking for a used one but I can never find the right one (T1290061)  I have come across some T190060 and T190012.  Has anybody switched them out on their bike and would it work? Or does anybody have any leads as to someone who can refurbish it or has one to sell a spare.

Thanks

Mustang

fill out your profile with location helps greatly when looking for parts ..................
now seeing how you are talking dollars I will assume USA .
How do you know the Ignitor as Triumph calls it is bad ?

Brand New from Bike Bandit .com is $740

There is a couple on Ebay UK but it looks like the sellers only post to UK
One is for a Tiger
and to answer your q
a sprint or daytona or early speed triple even the trident igniter will work the trident one will give you a higher redline before the limiter breaks up

NeilD

theres a long thread over on the RAT forum about ignitech replacement units
http://www.ignitech.cz/english/aindex.htm

if you have time to wade through the 17 pages, theres some interestign stuff there (although you may not see all of the pictures if you're not registered)...

http://www.triumphrat.net/maintenance-t ... ement.html

MIMbox

Just to make you sad, One has just been sold on ebay uk for approx 40 USD, wouldve bid myself, but already have a spare....
If you have discounted coils, trigger coil, side stand switch etc etc, they are about, and we can always buy and ship if you need it.
In answer to your question about swapability, the answer is Yes, BUT...
There are different mapped curves, and rev limits, but generally if it was a choice between a non working and a not quite the same number, it should get you out and about..

fepn26

Thanks Everyone,  

Mustang  - I am in Manhattan.  The Steamers are rare here, seeing that Triumph did not come back until 1995.  I took the CDI to my local dealer after pretty much looking at everything else and he plugged it in and said it was bad.  Thanks about the the swap info it might come down to it.

Neil D - I will read the RAT forum later thanks.

MIM Box - I have been scouring the globe looking for it. I have given up locally specially since I have crossed the US on that Bike and never saw another steamer.  Most people were shocked that it was a Triumph.  I saw the one on Ebay but the part# was different.  Thanks for the offer.  I will keep it in mind.  I will read more into swapping it.