News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

DAR finally now what?

Started by bjago, July 25, 2010, 04:56:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bjago

I have a well used 98 BRG Tiger with 77 K miles.  On a ride today I stopped for some lunch and get gas, at the gas station the bike was DEAD no idicator lamps no head light nothing. I tried pushing the bike to no avail, after getting jumped the only way to  get it home about a hundred miles away was to disconnect both headlamps.  I made it home without much problems. When I got home I let the bike idle while I checked the volts at the battery tender connection. 15 volts AT IDLE, and after I took my earplugs out I noticed a lot more rattle than normal. Upon removing the alternator I notice this

Now I think the built in reg/rect. on the alternator is failing hence the hi voltage but I dont know for sure.
The bike is always on a battery tender and the valves are getting tight but not too bad yet. HELP!!
Whats my next step?
05 Triumph Tiger 45K miles (lucifer orange)
98 Triumph Tiger 80K miles (sold)
98 Triumph T595 33K miles (sold :-(
04 MV Agusta Brutale 2500 miles (wifes)
93 GSXR 1100 85K miles (totalled)
91 GSXR 750 75K miles (sold)
86 Ninja 600 (sold)

bjago

BTW  
Apparently I'm gonna need to replace the alternator. if I have an option is there an alternator with more output, Like Trident, Daytona, Trophy etc... ?
86 Ninja 600 (sold)

Mustang

Quote from: "bjago"at the gas station the bike was DEAD no idicator lamps no head light nothing. I tried pushing the bike to no avail, after getting jumped the only way to  get it home about a hundred miles away was to disconnect both headlamps.  I made it home without much problems. When I got home I let the bike idle while I checked the volts at the battery tender connection. 15 volts AT IDLE, and after I took my earplugs out I noticed a lot more rattle than normal. Upon removing the alternator I notice this

Quote from: "bjago"BTW  
Apparently I'm gonna need to replace the alternator. if I have an option is there an alternator with more output, Like Trident, Daytona, Trophy etc... ?

The dead bike issue sounds more like the battery needs replacing .........
an alternator that was overcharging wouldn't need you to unhook the headlights .

The alternator bolt fix is not too bad
justy did this yesterday to Tigger 3 as a matter of fact ..was giving the ol girl some TLC with new chain and sprockets seeing  how it has been happy to tug boat the sidecar
I decided to pull the alternator as the noise in the engine room was a dead giveaway to the problem

like you I found this

1st step is to get the broken remnants out of the shaft ...if you are lucky you can use a pick and unthread the broken bolt from the shaft .
Don't get your hopes up cuz it usually never happens the thread in the shaft gets pretty wasted by the rattling bolt head .
You need to center punch the bolt and run a drill down into it and then counterbore it with a bigger drill to get rid of the mushed thread on the end

then you can use a good ol easy out to remove the broken bolt

use a little bearing retaining compound on the alternator drive vanes ( alittle goes a long way )

Reassemble with a new bolt ( I used a hardened allen head bolt) use loctite blue on the bolt threads

no lock washer just the flat washer

stick it back in the bike and with a new battery from walmart for 35 bucks I bet you are good to go !

bjago

As I hoped Mustang to the rescue.  
I took the alternators reg/rect appart a bit and noticed that the brushes liiked a bit beat up, Are all the 885 engines the same ( besides paint)
in regards to their output? And what size bolt goes in as a replacement for the damaged bolt?
Thanks Brent
86 Ninja 600 (sold)

Mustang

Quote from: "bjago"As I hoped Mustang to the rescue.  
I took the alternators reg/rect appart a bit and noticed that the brushes liiked a bit beat up, Are all the 885 engines the same ( besides paint)
in regards to their output? And what size bolt goes in as a replacement for the damaged bolt?
Thanks Brent
all 885 carbed engines use the same alternator

brushes can be gotten anywhere and if your threads are ok down inside the shaft after you get the broken bolt out you can use the same size which is M6x1.0
and if you have to drill bigger and retap ( there is enuff meat to go to M8)you can safely use a M8 x 1.25 bolt