News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

DIY sump guard

Started by Advwannabe, July 26, 2010, 01:54:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Advwannabe

Okie dokie, $600 AUS is just rude for a Touratech sumpguard and I haven't been able to find a second hand one.

I have been able to get a local sheet metal worker to agree to build one for me at a fraction of the price.

To get the design as accurate as possible would someone with a Touratech guard take a few photos and post them up please?

I'm not going t ocopy the Touratech, I'm just looking for a few ideas for my design

Cheers
No good deed goes unpunished
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180

mortaygo

things seem pretty slow here on this forum... I thought the Girly owners were a passionate lot...

Bump as I wish to do the same

Joe

LTB

/Thomas

Triumph Tiger 955i -01 Roulette Green

"There\'s no off position on the genious switch"

Advwannabe

Thanks for the linky,

Here's where I'm up to:

And a rough drawing of the design

Mine is wider than the Touratech as I want better rock protection for the waterpump and coolant hoses.

Like the Touratach mine is not really a bashplate as in I would use it to slide the bike over a log! It's just that our gravel roads over here have a lot of rocks on them. Its amazing how much crap gets flicked up.

I've yet to design a frame but it will be similar to the Touratech in concept.

The best part? the TT item is $630AUS landed at my place. My investment so far in this one is $180
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180

johnnyadventurepants

Nice!  It's threads like these that got me inspired to build my own.  I found that the mounting/frame to be more work than the actual plate- but less money!
\'99 Tiger 885i

Advwannabe

Hi folks,

Finally got around to making a mount frame for my homespun bash plate:

The front is attached via a 3mm mild steel bracket to the existing Tourtech crash bars

The rear is attached via a 3 mm mildsteel bracket with a 90 degree bend bolted to the centerstand pivot bracket

The plate is very solid and will protect the cases and hoses during our upcoming central Australia trip.

Upright clearance is unaffected but leaned over far enough to scrape my mustang pegs the front corner of the plate scapes as well. That's what you get when you do your own R & D! When we get back from the trip I'll take the corenr of the plate off and weld a piece of plate into the hole. Oh and a cut out to make it easier to change the oil and filter without taking the bash plate off each time.

Overall, well I'll let you know when we get back from Birdsville, but early impressions are very good. Now to go and spend the 400 bucks I didn't use to buy the Tourtech bashplate on some other useless farkle!
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180

daveb

great job on the bash plate, still go to get mine fabricated.

do us a favour, you couldn't post a photo of the rear mounting bracket of the bash plate for me please.

Advwannabe

Heading off for a couple of weeks Dave but if I remember, I will.
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180