News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Marks on tire for mounting alignment

Started by noxqqes, August 11, 2010, 04:51:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

noxqqes

Does the manufacturer mark the tire so that the heavy side of the tire is opposite the valve?  My Tourance tires have marks that are to be aligned withe the valve when the tire is mounted.   I've noticed that the balance weights for both wheels with my Tourance tires are on the same side of the wheel as the valve.

It would make sense because the weight of the valve assembly would be part of the weight to balance the wheel therefore requiring less weight to be added to achieve balance.  Does anybody know if this is indeed the reason for the alignment marks on the tire?

chairhead

Quote from: "noxqqes"Does the manufacturer mark the tire so that the heavy side of the tire is opposite the valve?  My Tourance tires have marks that are to be aligned withe the valve when the tire is mounted.   I've noticed that the balance weights for both wheels with my Tourance tires are on the same side of the wheel as the valve.

It would make sense because the weight of the valve assembly would be part of the weight to balance the wheel therefore requiring less weight to be added to achieve balance.  Does anybody know if this is indeed the reason for the alignment marks on the tire?
This side of the pond the tyre should have a yellow dot,
this should be mounted by the valve as it indicates the lightest point of the tyre,thus making the balancing of the wheel slightly easier
03 Girly Roulette Green with a Hedingham ETH
TOR can
Wilbers shock & wasp L/L forks
Taylormade Billet wheel

iansoady

It's usually yellow (and a red dot showing the high point) but I believe some manufacturers use other colours so it can be confusing.

According to this site Metzeler use 2 red dots.

Confused? I certainly am.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Mustang

Quote from: "iansoady"It's usually yellow (and a red dot showing the high point) but I believe some manufacturers use other colours so it can be confusing.

According to this site Metzeler use 2 red dots.

Confused? I certainly am.

and Shinko claims that the marks they use are just inspection marks and have nothing to do with balancing .........hhhhmmmmmmm