News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

starting problem : light cut-out acting weird

Started by klingklang, August 13, 2010, 03:57:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

klingklang

Since a few time, may a long time, I had some intermittent glitch on the starting.  Tried different things but cant  really be sure unless it happen again.  But now it is happening to often to feel secure with dear "Darling"

I need to hit the button many times consecutively (stressful sometimes) until the starter fire up. If the battery is fully fully fully charge, it's ok.  If Changed the starter relay, the battery, checked wires, cleaned and checked ignition switch, bypass clutch switch....sad, it always come back. I had opened everything now to get it one for all.  

I noticed now that the cut-out relay seems not work the way it should. If I'm right, the purpose of that relay is to cut the lights while you operate the starter?.  If yes, it don't or in fact not at the right time.  Here is what I'm actually seeing.  If I start the bike as it should, in neutral, stand up, (or down) and  clutch fully compressed (clutch on), the cut-out relay do not work. If I don't touch the clutch, just hitting the ignition button, then the cut-out relay work. Another test I did:  clutch on, starter relay disconnected (white wire) hit the ignition:  cut-out relay working.  

I'm starting to thing about the relay. Not branded hella like the others. It a typical relay like for accessories ( 5 pins 30,85,86,87&87a central) with the code 16B1098 (googled it and got nothing)

Note that all accessories have been disconnected to find that trouble.

Is this cut-out relay acting weird?  if not, any other idea?

thanks, sorry for my english!    itsss note dat goood.....

iansoady

I think the relay is a symptom rather than the cause. It is a normally closed relay feeding the lights - when it gets a feed from the starter relay it opens, putting the headlight off so there's more power available to the starter motor.

I would be looking for a dry / poor connection in the clutch / prop stand switches and cables going to them.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

klingklang

I'll work on the clutch but it act normally since the engine do not start if handle is not  engage. The stand is on a another circuit (99 girlies) and connected directly to the ecm, so I did not care about it. But maybe the ecm check what is happening there and things are mix up.  I think you are right, it is probably in the wires... a short....   somewhere....    I way prefer to be on the bike instead of "in" the bike!  thanks

SethTiger

I had same problem with my 99. The problem is the clutch switch.
I would have to hit the starter many times to get it to start.
I put a new ctutch switch in and problem solved. it is a cheap fix.

klingklang

found it,  it was a short in the lighting circuit but the hapinness was not long...now have to deal with an another problem!

Mustang

send a pm to sasquatch .he might be able to hook you up with a new spring

klingklang

thanks for the info,  My shock is a Stadium, a locally base business. I'll check with them why that happened and what the can do.

http://www.stadiumsuspension.com/