News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Bolivia and Peru

Started by Nimrod11, August 12, 2010, 06:49:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nimrod11

This is a great thread and I'll hijack it for my own use... :twisted: It can become a reference for people preparing for long trips.
http://tigertriple.com/forum/viewtopic. ... sc&start=0

I'm now planning a trip round Bolivia and Peru that should be short of 10.000 km. Bolivia has only about 10 or 15% of paved highways and the rest is crap. In the lowlands, I expect a lot more problems, due to all the tropical rains washing out the roads. In the highlands, a lot of dust and washboards.  :shock:

Anyway, my bike is an 2004 with 30,000 km on it. Have had it for only about 3,000 km and have no idea of what was done before - no records from previous owner.

So, what I have so far:
- voltage fix;
- metal fuel connectors;
- new front wheel bearings and innertube;
- new battery.

What I should do before I go:
- rear wheel bearings;
- new tyres and rear innertube - thinking Anakee II - ideas?
- valve check;
- new oil, filters, brake fluid, cooling fluid etc.

Should I do before I go?
- new chain and sprokets ?
- break pads ?
- brake and clutch cables ?
- radiator cap ?
- new spark plugs ?

What I should take with me:
- New alternator and R/R ?
- break-pads ?
- Spare Inner-tubes ?
- special tools ?

Regarding altitude, any tips on that? La Paz is 4,000m high but I expect we may reach almost 5,000m (16,400 ft).

I also plan to drive on the Uyuni salt planes. Wondering what to do with a bike covered in salt...

Thanks for the tips.
----------
Tiger 2004

jphish

Nimrod - Sounds like a great adventure!! The 6K mi and only 10 - 15% on paved roads got my attention! I think the anakee IIs are a fine combination / compromise dual sport tire - only have about 2K mi on mine - (about 500mi of dirt) & they have performed very well. However...given your expected road conditions I might be more inclined to go with TKCs. More aggressive tread for dirt / mud without giving up much on the pavement - and they 'self clean' much better as well. They are also harder to puncture & should last the whole trip. My 2c would hold even if it was 50/50 dirt pavement. I think you'd believe, in retrospect, it was an excellent choice. Want trip report upon your safe return...please. j

jphish

Salt ??!! Give it a good & THOROUGH hosing when you get to a place to do so. (Or...I dont recommend it but, my Tiger likes to laydown & nap in rivers - refreshing) They make a product for flushing marine engines that neutralizes salt - spray on (cold engine) and every place else (essentially 'mist' the entire bike, even under the seat) let it sit a few minutes & hose off with shower nozzle. My buddy rode his KLR into surf in Baja (kept mine well away from that corrosive stuff) and 2 years later he's still finding corrosion in all the likely & unlikely places. It's absolute HELL on electronics!! So I'd still do the ride - but pay attention to a good clean up after.

jphish

"Salt Away" is one brand found in Marine stores. They say to mix as directed with water & drench bike with low pressure sprayer to point of 'run off'. ADVrider has info on this. Also...as to all the other stuff - chain, sprockets etc. Since you dont know Tiger history I'd just go with visual inspection where you can... & do prescribed maint where you cant. Other longer term Tigger owners would be a better, more reliable source than I on that subject. I do know tires & corrosion though  8)

Mustang

Quote from: "Nimrod11"What I should do before I go:
- rear wheel bearings;
- new tyres and rear innertube - thinking Anakee II - ideas? this is a must do item
- valve check; this is a must do item
- new oil, filters, brake fluid, cooling fluid etc. this is a must do item

Should I do before I go?
- new chain and sprokets ? this is a must do item
- break pads ? this is a must do item
- brake and clutch cables ?bring new ones for spares in case you need them
- radiator cap ?
- new spark plugs ?

What I should take with me:
- New alternator and R/R ?
- break-pads ?good idea to bring spares
- Spare Inner-tubes ?good idea to bring spares
- special tools ?bring all the tools that you would need to change a tire and a small kit that has the torx bits and allen wrenches and other sizes of nuts and bolts that are on your bike

Regarding altitude, any tips on that? La Paz is 4,000m high but I expect we may reach almost 5,000m (16,400 ft).altitude should not bother a tigger but at 16,000 ft it will not run as strong as at sea level

I also plan to drive on the Uyuni salt planes. Wondering what to do with a bike covered in salt...

Thanks for the tips.

Nimrod11

Quote from: "jphish"I dont recommend it but, my Tiger likes to laydown & nap in rivers - refreshing

I know exactly what you mean...   :lol:
----------
Tiger 2004

Nimrod11

Mustang, you forgot to mention the lower footpegs! Mine are on, thanks!

Jphish - good tip about the KTC-80 but not sure I can find them here in Brazil. I know I can get the Karoo T but I don't think I can get as much mileage out of them.
----------
Tiger 2004

jphish

Hey Nimrod - Dont know much about the Karroos - but I find Anakees, tourance etc. are fine in the dry dirt - its when you hit the mud that the TKCs would really be a good option. They actually are a pretty good road tire as well, for a knobby. Can you mail order them in time?... or is the customs ordeal a labrinthian / glacial process ?  Ive only used TKCs for the rough stuff but perhaps you can research what IS available to you & pose a question to Tigger owners that ride dirt - what tire they might recommend in place of TKCs. Smart choice on foot pegs! I havent fallen off the Tiger once, since I changed 'em out. When do you depart ? Im riding Bolivia/Peru vicariously. Thanks! j

Rocinante

I would definitely go for tires as gravel aggressive as the TKC-80 when you head towards the lowland and mud. After a while you can turn around the front and get more milage out of it. Otherwise it wears down in a stair pattern and the front will oscillate at low speed, at least this happens on my Steamer. The rear wears down quite fast in the beginning but I believe the rubber is harder further in so you can get quite a lot more milage out of it than you believe when you´re half way through.

I would even consider to be more aggressive on the front, a Pirelli MT-21 or alike with something similar to TKC-80 on the rear. The MT-21 is a lot better in soft and mud than the TKC-80. The MT-21 is nice on the rear as well but wears fast.

Bring lots of duct tape and steel wire. You WILL need it in the washboard section.:)

I believe you can get tires in La Paz in case you need it. Ask on www.horizonsunlimited.com. Sure someone there knows.

Can you fix punctures along the road? Probably yes, but if not, practice is advisable cause it´s no fun going through that for the first time in nowhere land. I´ve experienced four punctures in four days while traveling. Also if not already in your luggage, bring some liquid soap for the rims when dismounting/mounting the tire.

Enjoy, it sounds like a fabulous trip.
www.dagjen.no
Once upon a time through North and South America:
www.rocinantestravels.com

jphish

UPDATE: Supposed to be cutting brush from behind the house - but too early to fire up weed eater and not have neighborhood revolt / lynching. Besides tires are much more interesting. As you know, knobbys are never a long distance option, so the compromise between mileage & performance is always in play.  Called my GS riding pal. His fellow 'panzerheads' have opined the following - my synopsis: The TKC80s are still generally the choice for most allterrain adventures, but 4K mi are about all you can expect. (I've nursed 5K out of one set - but that was on my KLR) That said, the Karoos come in 2 flavors - the old Karoo and the 'newer T' model. The old karoo is favored for the off road slop (some even prefer it over TKC80s) They apparently dont do as well on tarmac - noisy, marginal handling & poor mileage (2-3K) - but great in mud. The Ts are not so good in mud, but a pretty good road tire. They wear a bit longer - but not by much. When the planned trip simply has too many miles for the TKCs longevity, Metzler Tourances are apparently the compromise tire - not great in mud, but passable. They do wear well (should get you 6k mi) and good for those 50 miles of pavement you might encounter  :wink:   He said there is a discussion on ADV rider on the subject of karoos vs TKCs. Not sure if this helps, or only further confuses the tire question? But from the weed choked meadows of my mind, there ya have it.

Nimrod11

The great tips keep flowing! Thanks guys!!!

What I do see a lot here is the Karoo T but, as mentioned, I do think the wear quite fast. Pirelli is well represented but I have never seen anything more "muddy" than what I have now, the Scorpion MT-90.

As for changing tires, I think I'm still in denial... :(  Anyone ever had any experience with the "goo" to prevent punctures? The only downside I have heard is that they do corrode aluminium. But I would only have the stuff in for a month and I do have a tube, so no contact with aluminium.

I've been told the stuff really works. That and a little air compressor should do wonders. I hope...

The point is that I only expect mud over just a few kilometers. I know there is a bad spot entering Bolivia that can be bad, although we would be going at the end of the dry season, and again in the jungle in Peru. But the total should't be more that some 400km or so, out of 8000!

We are currently planning to go on November 13, subject to change. Should be 3 weeks. I've done a first calculation and it should take 14 days of riding so 7 days or tourism/rest/fixes/hangovers.

Keep up the good tips! Much appreciated!!!
----------
Tiger 2004

Rocinante

Quote from: "Nimrod11"As for changing tires, I think I'm still in denial... :(  

Then just go. You probably won´t puncture at all and if you do and you need help from the locals, they will probably get you and your bike safe and sound to the nearest puncture shop and fix it for you at a very low price. You´ll have a story to tell too...:)

Since there´s three of you, you are not that dependent on self sufficiency.

As for tires, if the mud section is expected to be that short, go for something else than the most knobby ones.

I went through North- and South America on Tourances, Michelin T-66´s and some road tire I don´t remember the name of. In other words anything but knobbies, because I hadn´t tried it before and wouldn´t at the time.

So, if you plan on going slowly off the pavement and don´t want to worry about tire wear, then go for whatever will last you through the trip(Tourance or similar) and forget my earlier advices...
www.dagjen.no
Once upon a time through North and South America:
www.rocinantestravels.com

Nimrod11

Quote from: "jphish"Not sure if this helps, or only further confuses the tire question?

Great help, thanks! The Karoo T are what I would consider but am afraid of the wear. Tourance or what I have now, Pirelli Scorpion MT-90, should survive the full distance.

Another note on mail order: it could work but some time ago the eco-xiites were pushing for a law about importing tires, restricting it to companies that could dispose of them. Not sure if I can mail order or even bring a pair with me on my next trip.
----------
Tiger 2004

Nimrod11

Quote from: "jphish"too early to fire up weed eater

Burning weed? Should you even post that online ?!?!?!   :shock:
----------
Tiger 2004

Nimrod11

Quote from: "Rocinante"Then just go. You probably won´t puncture at all and if you do and you need help from the locals, they will probably get you and your bike safe and sound to the nearest puncture shop and fix it for you at a very low price. You´ll have a story to tell too...:)

Thanks, I like your point of view. I should probably carry a repair kit anyway. I am an engineer, used to pull my car apart, but recently just prefer to ride, enjoy and pay others to fix it. Made worst by living in a building with no room for maintenance - my kingdom for a US style garage!!!
----------
Tiger 2004