News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

output shaft repair ?

Started by rybes, August 17, 2010, 02:38:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rybes

afternoon :D whislt takin the old chain n sprockets off to be replaced for newuns, when they turn up, i discovered why my tiger sounded like a tractor. turns out the front sprocket was finger tight. thankfuly the lock washer was doin its job well. when i took the sprocket off, inoticed the teeth on the out put shaft show quite a bit of wear. ive read in a DAR thread about usin some kind of chemical metal on worn shafts. do you think that same trick could work on the output shaft ? if not does anyone know of a repair which dosnt involve strippin the engine down to replace the shaft.

cheers :D
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

Mustang

how much wear are we talkin about here ?
When a new sprocket is fitted and torqued to 130 NM it probably isn't going to make any noise .
If the shaft is severely worn there is nothing you can apply to it that can take the torque produced by the sprocket and or engine that could possibly repair it other than new shaft replacement :evil:  :shock:

rybes

gutted, oh well. cheers mustang  :wink:  if i had the time id replace it but times slowly goin ohnly got jus over 2 weeks to get it finished. fingers crossed :lol:

rybes

had anuvva look at it earlier and id say its missin at least half a mm. summink to do in the winter i spose :lol:

BruKen

That doesn't quite make sense. I don't see how if the lock washer was holding the nut in place that there could still be enough backlash chatter to wear away the shaft without completely anhiliating the washer's own tines which by comparison is much softer.

I don't dispute it, but I'd check against another model before setting yourself up for the heartache.

rybes

how bout bearin retainer ? im now of out to do some bits. ill take a pic of the offendin part n post it up when i come in

rybes

heres a pic of the output shaft and the new sprocket. im thinkin bearin retainer torqued up proper and correct use of a lock washer and i should be rattle free. well i hope so anyway :lol: