News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Top Speed

Started by New-Tiger, September 14, 2004, 02:33:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

New-Tiger

What top speed have people achieved(  [-X ) on their Tigers? I find that my limit is 100 mph. This is due more to the size of my nuts than the engine. I'm a new rider and i'm not used to being so exposed to the elements. The wind really seems to blow me about...

BP_LONDON

100mph is way more speed than anyone really need to ride their bike at - especially a tourer. I've never pushed my Tigger over the ton, as I'm quite comfy at around 80-85 - but in most cases 70-75 is not really that boring.

MikeF

125 something 2up catching my friend on his 1100GS that was toped out. I'm not sure how much faster I got to as I couldn't get my eyes off the road in front of me.  :shock: Of course that was indicated so actual speed may have been less, but was fast enough for me.

NortonCharlie

I've had mine north of 130 a couple times.  It still had more.  It did 140 on the dyno and the guy running it (Rich King) seemed to think it would pull it on the road.  140 is were the rev limiter kicked in.
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

Chris Canning

BP pardon me for smileing but i guess i'm at the other end of the spectrum!!

Before i SuperMoto'd my Tiger it would show well over 130 as did the demonstrator when i pasted it,after the conversion i had to add a Yellow box converter because of going to a 17" front wheel and i purposely set the speed up slow but with a 19 tooth sprocket at 8000 revs two up it'll show 125.

BP reason for smileing!! last year rideing back from Barcelona,spent the majority of the 16 hour trip way into three figures,for covering ground the Tiger really is one of the greats.

Chris

ridemoretalkless

:shock:  [-o<  :shock:  :!:

Robbie

I dont make a note of top speeds and I have never tryed to see 'what it will do' down hill with the wind behind, but Susie did tick me off once with 124.7 recorded on the GPS after a little dice with a R1 on some open A roads, he was in the way through some of my fav bends and when the road opend out i went with him, he pulled a few lengths on me but got taken in the next set of bends.  :D  when we stopped she flicked the gps to the speed screen and gave me the lecture about losing my licence or having her come across the weckage and why did i leave her. after a coffee and lots of 'yes dear' 'no dear' she said "i thought the tiger could do more than that!". Women! :roll:
Robbie and Mohan the original silver Tiger

52blackshadow

Mine did a comfortable 125 and just a little over on the clock when I first picked it up.  It's now showing 13,500 and is waiting for it's 12,000 service (I bought it just serviced with 2,500 on the clock and did another minor service at 8,500 so it should be ok for another week or two.). It now tops 120 quite easily, but feels a bit slower getting there than it used to.

Watch this space after the service!    :twisted:

Shadow.
Ride safe!!!!!

SIBBO

Yeah i concur, i have had 125-130 racing my mate on his firestorm (he agreed)  :twisted:

Reckon it would have gone a bit more but the road was rapidly running out,and i was more interested in keeping my eyes on the road  :!:

Thats on a recently serviced 02 with 5500 miles on her.....

52blackshadow

What internal differences are there between the Tiger and the Daytona?  The Daytona has much greater top speed.  I'd accept a small difference due to gearing, and perhaps a different state of tune, but what about compression ratios, cam profiles, valve or ignition timing etc.

I'd be interested to read if anyone knows just what is different?

Cheers,

Shadow.
Ride safe!!!!!

Brock

The old 'tig will go much faster if you hunker down behind the screen out of the wind blast when you give her the beans. Only problem is...when I'm that close to the clocks I can't read 'em. It feels like about 300 mph but I'm sure it's not quite as fast as that. 'Course...if you cover your body with badger grease (no offence, Badger) you could go even faster.

Removing your clothing and helmet will give you a slight edge, too.

And if you've got a hairy back, try shaving it.
Chris

\"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.\" J R R Tolkein

BP_LONDON

Quote from: "Brock"The old 'tig will go much faster if you hunker down behind the screen out of the wind blast when you give her the beans. Only problem is...when I'm that close to the clocks I can't read 'em. It feels like about 300 mph but I'm sure it's not quite as fast as that. 'Course...if you cover your body with badger grease (no offence, Badger) you could go even faster.

Removing your clothing and helmet will give you a slight edge, too.

And if you've got a hairy back, try shaving it.

:mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:

SIBBO

Now this thread is getting just plain silly :lol:  :lol:  :lol: ....

unless this sort of thing is your bag, then hey whatever floats your boat :wink:

NortonCharlie

Put it on the Dyno, stock geared 955 tiger the rev limiter kicks in at 140 even.  You are not going to go any faster than that.  And it should do that pretty quick.
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

52blackshadow

Brock,

LMAO!!!!!  You've been looking at too many pictures of Rollie Free (150 + on a standard Vincent over 50 years ago just by stripping to his swimming trunks (On salt flats)! Now that would have hurt had it gone wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Charlie,

Even when fresh, my Tiger fell short of hitting 130 in normal riding conditions. I admit I never bothered enough to hold the gears all the way to the maximum, but I'd question your statement that in standard trim it should get to 140 pretty quickly?  Perhaps after it's service I'll find a long straight and really thrash it both ways to see if I can get there.

Cheers,

Shadow.
Ride safe!!!!!