News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Leaky fuel Taps

Started by R0B, August 22, 2010, 10:43:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GavD

'98 Steamer (Black of course), '18 BMW R NineT Urban G/S

MtheTiger

QuoteI've just ordered one to see if it's any good.

Keep us posted....
I'm looking for a good & cheap replacement also that won't drip (like my new !! Triumph one does already  :evil: )
-Only dead fish go with the flow-

97 Caspian blue

GavD

Ordered it Thursday evening, delivered Saturday morning, can't argue with that.
Looks better in the flesh than on ebay. Fits the tank perfectly, just got to order some smaller bore pipe and an adapter.
Not sure what I'm going to do about the short 'main' pipe yet. If I leave it as is, I'm gonna have to head for a petrol station as soon as I switch over to reserve!
Here's a pic.

Colonel Nikolai

GavD, once you report back that this item works well enough it should probably go on the parts interchange sticky thread for the steamers, eh?

Quote from: "GavD"Not sure what I'm going to do about the short 'main' pipe yet. If I leave it as is, I'm gonna have to head for a petrol station as soon as I switch over to reserve!

Can't you just lengthen it with a longer plastic tubing of some sort?
Mostly commuting around town on the Steamer these days.

GavD

I'm just thinking about that now, I don't want to use something that the petrol might affect and breakdown. The outside diameter of the pipe is 5mm, so I need something 5mm bore to slide over it.

I've just put the tank on the bike with the new tap, drained it on main then measured how much came out on reserve. With the bike upright I got about 1/4 litre out on reserve - should be good for all of 2 or 3 miles!!!

Definately need to extend that main pipe.

Colonel Nikolai

Quote from: "GavD"I'm just thinking about that now, I don't want to use something that the petrol might affect and breakdown.

We have a super-cheap tubing over here that works well except when I don't use aviation-grade gasoline (non-oxygenated, no ethanol) it gets much less flexible and makes me worry about how it will behave in a few years. Have had it on my steamer and my sprint of the same vintage for this season only so far. Keeping an eye on it for now. You can buy it here in any auto-parts store: it's for radiator hoses but it's clear as glass. Do you guys have this?

Quote from: "GavD"With the bike upright I got about 1/4 litre out on reserve - should be good for all of 2 or 3 miles!!! Definately need to extend that main pipe.

Yes you do! One of the scariest experiences of my life was running out of gas on the tigger on a 4-lane highway during rush hour in a construction zone.  :shock:
Mostly commuting around town on the Steamer these days.

MtheTiger

looking good !
What do you mean by "just got to order some smaller bore pipe and an adapter".

As far as the main pipe is concerned I guess just slide another copper pipe on that has a snug fit and cut to the desired length.

97 Caspian blue

GavD

Is copper ok in petrol then?

The outlet on the new tap is for 5 or 6mm pipe, whereas the original is more like 7 or 8mm, so i've just bought one of these;
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160439403690&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

NeilD

looks like a good fix..  8)  fuel injected bikes normally have flexi hose inside the tank, so I guess a bit of that type of pipe to extend the metal one would do the job?

rybes

id watch that pipe size if i were you gav mate. i seem to remeber the tiger one bein 8mm. thas quite a drop down in size. watch out ya dont suffer from fuel starvation when ya given it a wristful ;)
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

GavD

yeah, thought about that. If I do get problems I'll just have to bite the bullet and fork out for either a triumph one or maybe one of those lovely shiney pingle ones.
At least I wouldn't have wasted too much dough.

GavD

MtheTiger

Quoteid watch that pipe size if i were you gav mate. i seem to remeber the tiger one bein 8mm. thas quite a drop down in size. watch out ya dont suffer from fuel starvation when ya given it a wristful  

this got me thinking too because I haven't got standard carb settings anymore: daytona cams, bos race exhausts and as main jets 128. Pilots are original though @ 40. Gives Tigger 100+ BHP but also makes her thirstier than her rider :shock:

If your Tigger is original and she can cope with the new tap diameter I'll give it a try also.

97 Caspian blue

D-Fuzz

I fixed my leaky petcock this morning.  A 25 cent o-ring and 20 minutes to drain the tank, so even if I have to do it once a year, it will be worth it to me.  It was good education for me as well and I found out I have 3L on reserve.  Still have no idea how far that will get me though.
Scott

1996 Tiger 885, black