News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Leaky fuel Taps

Started by R0B, August 22, 2010, 10:43:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colonel Nikolai

Quote from: "D-Fuzz"I fixed my leaky petcock this morning.  A 25 cent o-ring and 20 minutes to drain the tank, so even if I have to do it once a year, it will be worth it to me.  It was good education for me as well and I found out I have 3L on reserve.  Still have no idea how far that will get me though.

About 30 miles give or take on my Steamer. Thanks for doing that.
Mostly commuting around town on the Steamer these days.

GavD

After a bit of hunting around I found a plastic pipe on the kids fish tank that I've cut a bit from to slide over the outlet on the new tap to bring it up to size so that I can use the original fuel hose.

Only thing left to sort now is the short main pipe and we're good to go.
Hopefully I won't get any fuel starvation problems as Rybes suggested. I'm afraid my scratching days are pretty much over now. Rides tend to be slower paced nowadays.
'98 Steamer (Black of course), '18 BMW R NineT Urban G/S

GavD

All sorted now,

Got the modelling brass pipe as suggested by ROB to extend the main tank feed up a bit, and got the outlet fuel pipe to the carbs sorted. All together cost about 20 quid - one third the price of a new triumph one and will probably last longer. Just gotta hope I don't get any starvation problems as Rybes suggested due to the decrease in outlet pipe size.

Colonel Nikolai

Have you run a full tank through it yet? Let us know.
Mostly commuting around town on the Steamer these days.

GavD

I'm afraid not Nik,

I was hoping to get her roadworthy during the summer but it's not worked out like that. Too many other commitments.
Looking at having her on the road about March time.

MtheTiger

I asked the seller Yambits on Ebay about the fuel flow capacity of the petcock and he states it's OK for single carb 500cc bikes but not for anything bigger....like triples. Hope it turns out OK.
-Only dead fish go with the flow-

97 Caspian blue

Bixxer Bob

I've not been following this closely, but here's a simple scenario: a full tank will take you about 200 miles, probably more.  That takes 3 hrs (ish) so if the petcock will allow the tank to drain in less than 3 hrs, you have enough flow, don't ya? :?

You don't have to drain a full tank, just a litre and then multiply it up... :wink:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Mustang

the stock OEM petcock is just  barely adequate to feed all three cylinders at 5000 rpm  ..............just sayin

R0B

I suppose you have to think what an XT500 does to the gallon...........I wouldn't think very much...................

NeilD

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"I've not been following this closely, but here's a simple scenario: a full tank will take you about 200 miles, probably more.  That takes 3 hrs (ish) so if the petcock will allow the tank to drain in less than 3 hrs, you have enough flow, don't ya? :?

You don't have to drain a full tank, just a litre and then multiply it up... :wink:

although I suppose the important calculation is 'how quickly do the float bowls empty vs how quickly can the fuel flow refill them' especially when 'on the throttle'  :)

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "Mustang"the stock OEM petcock is just  barely adequate to feed all three cylinders at 5000 rpm  ..............just sayin

I know my appraoch is a bit of a blunt instrument, but I tookrevs into consideration as, going on Girly experience (I know, fuel injection is more intelligent - but we're talking Triumph  Tiger FI here), and I get around 45 Uk mpg,  you'd have to be doing around 5000 rpm constant to cover 200 miles in 3 hrs.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

GavD

OK,

Just drained a litre through the new petcock in 95 seconds, therefore 25 litres would take 2375 seconds which is 39 mins & 35 seconds.

From that I reckon the new valve is ok for cruising. Only question left is whether when I gas it, it can keep up with how fast the float bowls are being drained.

I'm from the Isle of Wight, and for anyone who's never been here before, it's not that easy to give it some for long as you tend to meet most of the following depending on the time of year;
Coach/caravan/cyclist/horses/cattle/old granny on sunday drive.

It's a lovely place to live, but the roads are sh*te.

NeilD

at some point over the next month or so I'll be taking my tank off so I'll time it when I'm draining it for comparison..  :)

GavD

Mustang

you'll be fine ,I just realized / remembered   :oops:  I have a restricted elbow in the middle of the fuel pipe on tiger 3  and it slurps gas at the rate of 25 mpg and is never starved for fuel .........