News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

beefing up static sag on rear suspension

Started by BruKen, August 23, 2010, 09:35:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BruKen

Hi, I am finding that when kitted up with paniers and all laden up there is too much sag on the rear suspension. What remedies are there including spring replacements to counteract this?

BruKen

It's a Showa shock... And is absolutely fine on its own with rider only

Mustang

quit loading the old girl down so much ! :ImaPoser  :ImaPoser

Ok Ok had to get a jab in

seriously though try adjusting the preload up some on the spring
or try a hyperpro spring or get a new shock

there is not a lot to do because you are asking it for two separate things ....
you will have to find the happy medium for the sag between the two conditions

BruKen

Mmm. I thought as much. I went away this weekend to a bikers rally fully kitted to the max as a trial run for my September tour of Scotland and the Outer Hebrides. The bike handled flawlessly, the front was not light, didn't twist or lift the front wheel in the twisties....but.... I was told by the chase that the panniers were less than an inch off the ground on switchbacks and that really put the wind up my skirt because I wasn't pushing her. Half the problem is she has a very wide tail for side panniers making the level distance about two inches wider per side than average. Doesn't sound much but it makes a huge difference with the ground clearance when sag is taken into account. Mounting the panniers higher may solve the issue but also may not be quite as stable / vibration free

Yes I know I measured everything up while she was on the centre stand... Bloomin idiot that I am

Mustang

your panniers have 2 strikes against them
1. they are too wide for the steamer

2. you need to raise them up so the bottoms are about 2 inches higher

I have run these successfully with no scraping but they are only 7 inches wide each box

it's more the wide load than the sag causing your paranoia in the twisty's :shock:

BruKen

I can raise them another couple of inches. They are 11 inches wide. Unfortunately for me to order in some more ali sheet and weld up another set that are narrower and taller like yours would take too long. I have next weekend to do the job and then I am off. Even if I could get some 5251 sheet by this weekend it takes me 2 days to cut, bend and weld just 1 box. The duty cycle of my TIG at 110 amps allows for a 10 minute weld before a 20 minute break.

Maybe if I raise it by 3 inches and cut in a 45 degree corner on the bottom outer edge 3 inches in.

.... Paranoia LOL , I like that :D sounds better than bricking it

BruKen

Actually you've given me an idea... Thanks :D

I have a monster box that was my first ambitious attempt for the Tenere that looked good on paper but turned out to be a skip and now serves as a off cut metals parts bin. If I cut that in half width ways I might still have enough scrap to salvage a second set at 7 inches :)

rf9rider

Wow!  :shock:

Never seen panniers as wide as that.

Out of interest, how wide are they when fitted?

BruKen

Each pannier is 35 litre and 11 inches wide so extend 12 inches from the side (an inch for exhaust clearance). The boxes themselves are not actually all that big. As I said earlier, the back of the tigger is deceptively wide mainly due to the positioning of the exhausts.

Total beam is 110 cm or 44 inches.

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: "BruKen"Actually you've given me an idea... Thanks :D

I have a monster box that was my first ambitious attempt for the Tenere that looked good on paper but turned out to be a skip and now serves as a off cut metals parts bin. If I cut that in half width ways I might still have enough scrap to salvage a second set at 7 inches :)

Don't panic, raise them a bit as Mustang suggests, then if you are still concerned consider cropping the outer lower corner like the Trax boxes. You won't lose a lot of volume but will gain a fair bit of clearance and it will stiffen up the boxes a lot.

This shot doesn't show it so well, don't have my hard disc to hand.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

harre

Or you could mount a 3-1 system and place the exhaust under one box, then rebuild the carrier closer to the bike. That is what I would like to do. You will save same weight as well. You can use a 3-1 downpipe from a Daytona, add an exhaust of your choice and your almost done.