News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Air Filters...

Started by Brock, September 20, 2004, 01:33:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brock

Anyone tried any of the "high performance" air filters? I'm thinking of fitting a K&N to compliment the race can/tune, and avoid changing the standard Triumph one for a new one every few thousand miles (yes...I am as tight as a duck's arse).

1/ Would it make much difference to engine breathing?

2/ Is it really a balls-ache to fit?
Chris

\"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.\" J R R Tolkein

robbo

Brock,

DonÌt know the answer to any of your questions but I would be interested to find out what the effect is. I donÌt have the race tune or can but would like to find a way of getting more horses out of the motor without having to fit expensive parts.

Police around my way are shit hot on things like race cans and small number plates so I am avoiding this type of modification. ( and IÌm too tight to spend £200 on a loud noise )    

Robbo
best Regards

Robbo

BP_LONDON

I've heard good things about the K&N filters, but they sure are expensive.

Brock

Yep, they're about £30-£40 I think. But they're good for about 30,000 miles before they need cleaning. Yes, CLEANING. You just whip it out, clean it, and put it back in. Beats paying for a new Triumph one every 12,000 miles or so? And there's the performance advantage? or is there?
Chris

Chris Canning

I've run mine with a K+N since the start of the year,run very well,with that knats extra on the pickup.

Had one slight problem with it!!,when i wanted a 12000 service,went along to a new(ish) local dealer,to avoid the 100 mile round trip with my normal one mentioned that i had a K+N in it and didn't want it changed,he got all shitty and told me he didn't want to service the bike!!!! i kid you not.

Chris

robbo

Name and shame the dealer, tell us all here, tell your friends, tell everyone. They wont last long without any customers.
best Regards

Robbo

Black TRH

If you are looking to up performance then Buster are offering a package. You can purchase a Power Commander and K&N filter. Total cost approx £300. expensive but the dogs b*****s as far as performance goes. This will be my next purchase, but don't tell the wife

Brock

I had a Power Commander on me VFR800. They are indeed good, but I aint got £300 floating around, and the Tiger doesn't suffer from the flat spots that the viffer did.

By the way...you'll get these MUCH cheaper if you order direct from the States, or ask one of our American cousins to help you out.
Chris

ArizonaKid

Had my 12K service done this summer and the dealer suggested the K&N filter and it was actually only a couple $ more that the stock Triumph filter. It  runs really well, but how much of that is attributable to the air filter is unknown.
Arizona Kid

Riding hard and fast down Arizona way

2007 Triumph Tiger

Chris Canning

Hi Gents

I'm not really into criticiseing dealers per say,if i find that i think their not up to it,i just go somewhere else,thats not to say that someone else might find them OK.

My original dealer went bust,and i've taken more interest in were the mechanics have gone,it was just that this shop opened not to long ago and i thought i'd go and have a chat(it's very local),when i asked about what tune they were going to put in,he looked at me blankly and said what ever was in the computer!!,well i've been used to dealing with people who've got a bit more idea.i wouldn't dream of paying someone to put a different exhuast on or change brake pads i do that my self and always have,but as my 955 is the only one i've got,i can never be sure if it's running better than others and that why have the motor set up at a shop,letting them change the oil etc is just my way of letting them earn a liveing.

When the guy i spoke got all jumpy,his actual words were'I don't think we want to service it',and my words were'I don't think i want you to'!!!!.

You have some dealers like Jack Lilley and Windy corner who are used to dealing with tricked up bikes and others that just want to change the oil and stamp you book,they just take a little sorting out.

Chris