News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

brake pads longivity 955i

Started by daveb, August 28, 2010, 05:41:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daveb

How long should the front disc pads last, went for a spin today Swansea to Haverfordwest round trip of approx 120 miles.

On the way home after pulling away from roundabout I heard a strange rubbing, metal on metal, as you possibly guessed by my title it was the brake pads down to the metal. Lucky enough my mum lives around that area, I didn't want to ride the last 30 miles home without front brakes, been there done that before, plus I didn't want to warp the front discs.

The Tiger has only covered 7120 miles, is this normal, I am guessing the previous owner was a heavy braker as I had to change the rear pads when I bought the bike, well within the first 2 weeks. bought bike with 4125 miles, rear pads changed 4250 approx and now fronts gone at 7120 miles.

Got the New pads from M & p's so just got to fit them.

Mustang

depends on what type of pads are in there , but 7000 miles is nothing to be surprised at .
ebc brakes will probably go into the 10,000 mile + range before I pull them . I usually change them before they are totally worn .
Pads are cheaper than rotors , and you won't get stranded that way either . :D

Timbox2

Ive done 13000 on mine so far and although lowish, still a couple of thou more I reckon, I think mine are Nissin pads as the backs are blue colour
2016 Tiger Sport

daveb

cheers guys, the ones in question were the original ones that came with the Tiger from new, I just bought a set of EBC.

I was expecting 10k or so out of the pads, tha is what I am used to, I used to change then on the TDM every October ready for the winter.

I just got the bike booked in for the 6000mile service, its currently on 7120..oops it goes in sept 10, so there will be approx another 400-500 miles to be added as I got a ride out around the black mountains in a weeks time.

daveb

I know how expensive discs (Rotors) are. warpped a set on the TDM once, just after an MOT, I was relieved of £350-400, they were 'dished' I swore never again,

the bike is at my mothers about 30miles away, when I heard the noise I stopped, lucky enough I was only 1/2 mile from Mothers house.

Timbox2

Blimey, good timing on this thread, thought I'd have an actual check today and they are a gnats cock from the metal, better get some ordered up
2016 Tiger Sport

Spud

Im not very heavy on pads and get a lot more mileage than you guys by the looks of it, but I am surprised you dont check them more often  :oops:  when your down there doing your pressures just have a quick peek  :wink:  cheers Spud

daveb

Quote from: "Timbox2"Blimey, good timing on this thread, thought I'd have an actual check today and they are a gnats cock from the metal, better get some ordered up

Tim, I got mine from M & P's they got them in stock, £30 for Kevlar or £40 for sintered.

I had to take a set back as they were the wrong pattern. But I know what they look like.

daveb

just brought the bike home, as it was in my mums until I could get, I was riding like a novice, brake pad smell as the bed in, thinking the worst pulled over no probs, wife was driving the car behind me, what the hell are you doing, get going.
I just wanted to make sure I didn't cook the discs stopped off for petrol, rechecked the discs, no excessive heat after 10 miles, all is now good.

I did notice the disc vents were full of brake dust, reducing the hole sixe, give them a clean.

Timbox2

Got some Carbonne Lorraines from South Wales superbikes this morning and fitted them outside the shop, then went for a ride up to Aber, got home and changed the brake fluid just for good measure, was looking a bit murky and no idea when it was last done.
2016 Tiger Sport

Chris Canning

Re a phone conversation i had with Timbox the other day checked mine,their my second set in 30,000 miles and about half way through and i use a lot of back brake,but!! i bet i have all the brake pads out 2/3 times a year to clean calipers and pads up,and my Tiger has never seen a winters day in it's life.

daveb

usually in winter I tend to check the pads, and clean the pistons every other month, due to the road crud,
But this time I openly admit, this time I completely forgot to inspect them  :oops: .
Pistons cleaned, pins cleaned and greased. what a difference excellent stopping power now
What do you guys run on your Tigers, Sintered or standard.

rf9rider

I`ve always used EBC HH, just fitted a set to the Tiger, £20 inc delivery from Ebay.

Timbox2

ended up having to do the rears today as well, they were touching the metal!!

Found a place in the middle of the Hereford countryside called LM Spares, and I mean countryside, up a dirt track across a field, nice place does mainly mail order but has a decent sized shop as well, and in the middle of the shop on display was an early 750 Speed Triple with 4000 miles on the clock, mint.

nice bloke, and cheap as well

http://www.lm-spares.co.uk/home.html
2016 Tiger Sport

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: "Timbox2"ended up having to do the rears today as well, they were touching the metal!!

And you call us Jock's tight  :P  :lol:

Handy link, cheers.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint