News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

waking up my Tiger 955i

Started by mortaygo, August 30, 2010, 06:23:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mortaygo

sad.... My bike is stock.. for now. I was at my local bike dealer and they were doing free Dyno runs, I ran up the 2005 955i Tiger with 18 000ks on the clock... I guessed the HP at 90 HP.... NOT EVEN CLOSE 78.3... that is terrible..... even my wife's worn out 99 SV650 ran at 69.3HP.... I am about to change the exhaust and will do another run to see I I gained any or much benifit... what else can be done to get my slug Tiger rocking?

cosmo

Stop going to dyno runs!!!

That should save a bit o' cash....

Cosmo
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

514Advrider

FI remap + performance exhaust.
Not much else can be done after that without lots of work and $$$.

M.T.

Don't bother changing exhausts if you are not going to load the "Offroad" tune or calibrate your own tune with a Tuneboy or something similar.  In fact I would start with the tune- this 'richens' up the fuel mixture to where the bike runs like it should.  
I started with the Offroad tune and later added the Offroad can, and to tell the truth I'm not sure that the new can made much difference in power- the tune really woke the bike up!  I've heard from plenty of reliable sources that the stock Triumph exhaust can flows plenty well.
Good Luck!
-RainRunner Extrordinaire

Bixxer Bob

Blueflame, home-cooked tune = 102.5 bhp at the rear tyre...   :eusa_dance
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

mortaygo

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"Blueflame, home-cooked tune = 102.5 bhp at the rear tyre...   :eusa_dance

now we are talking...  I have my bike booked in to a very well know Aussie Exhaust mod guy who has done a few Tiger mufflers, then straight from his shop to the Triumph dealer for the "off road" tune... then I will blow more hard earned cash on a dyno run to compare (same dyno of course)

Oh and thanks for your concern Cosmo - but I never said I wanted to save cash.... and the dyno run was for FREE

Bixxer Bob

I knew I had it somewhere....

I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

mortaygo

Quote from: "mortaygo"sad.... My bike is stock.. for now. I was at my local bike dealer and they were doing free Dyno runs, I ran up the 2005 955i Tiger with 18 000ks on the clock... I guessed the HP at 90 HP.... NOT EVEN CLOSE 78.3... that is terrible..... even my wife's worn out 99 SV650 ran at 69.3HP.... I am about to change the exhaust and will do another run to see I I gained any or much benifit... what else can be done to get my slug Tiger rocking?

right - 20% increase...  

I will find the dyno print out and post it....

I had the standard exhaust modified by a guy in Australia who worked on the famous NZ Britten V Twin.

Once modified I had the Triumph Off Road Tune uploaded, then took it in for a major service which included the fittment of a K&N Filter and the removal of the Snorkle.... Dyno'd at 98HP..... fantastic increase which I could feel the moment I rode the bike....

Happy now :shock:

Bixxer Bob

Well done mate.  Now get the free TuneECU and start modding the offroad map, it's got a big lean hole in the midrange.  If you look at my chart, you'll see a dotted line across the middle.  That's the 13 to 1 A/F best power line.  Now look at the red line, from 4000 - 7500 rpm, it's way high, nearly touching the stoichiometric ideal of 14.7.  That's good for emissions and consumption but bad for power.  then look at the blue line after we tweaked the map.  It's close to the 13 all through so gives a nice fat midrange.  With more dyno time we could probably have gotten it spot on.  You should easily find another 3 or 4 bhp.

Once I've perfected my map (and I'm simply not getting the time at the moment) I'll publish it so others can give it a try.

mortaygo

hey BB, you have my attention.. what is the free Tune ECU?  my local guy here in Oz wanted to sell me a power commander for $500, he reckoned he could pick up another 10HP with a Power commander and some air box work....  I didn't take the plate out of the air box, my tuner thought it would lean it out to much with out allowing for more fuel...

Joe

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"Well done mate.  Now get the free TuneECU and start modding the offroad map, it's got a big lean hole in the midrange.  If you look at my chart, you'll see a dotted line across the middle.  That's the 13 to 1 A/F best power line.  Now look at the red line, from 4000 - 7500 rpm, it's way high, nearly touching the stoichiometric ideal of 14.7.  That's good for emissions and consumption but bad for power.  then look at the blue line after we tweaked the map.  It's close to the 13 all through so gives a nice fat midrange.  With more dyno time we could probably have gotten it spot on.  You should easily find another 3 or 4 bhp.

Once I've perfected my map (and I'm simply not getting the time at the moment) I'll publish it so others can give it a try.

Timbox2

Quote from: "mortaygo"hey BB, you have my attention.. what is the free Tune ECU?  my local guy here in Oz wanted to sell me a power commander for $500,

Joe

he'd be selling you the wrong thing then, as Dynojet dont do a PC for the 955 Tiger, not sure they ever have either.
2016 Tiger Sport

Bixxer Bob

I've a PC on my Blackbird but it hasn't got an O2 sensor.  I've never quite undertood how you'd make a PC work on a bike with an O2 sensor because (I think) they'd always be fighting each other for fuel control.  For instance the power commander is adjusted to give more fuel, the O2 senses more fuel and leans the trims out thus neutralising the $500 PC.  Doesn't make sense to me.

BTW, I was offered a PC for my Girly by BSD, but decided against for the above reason, so I think they did do one at one time or another.

Regarding TuneECU, it's free software -Google it, and read everything you can find because the TuneECU user guide is (or was anyway) rubbish.  Others have written much better.  You can always search on here as well, there's lots on the subject as quite a few have dabbled now.  Once you've got the software and cable and managed to connect to the bike feel free to ask for help. :wink:

aesdj

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"I've a PC on my Blackbird but it hasn't got an O2 sensor.  I've never quite undertood how you'd make a PC work on a bike with an O2 sensor because (I think) they'd always be fighting each other for fuel control.  For instance the power commander is adjusted to give more fuel, the O2 senses more fuel and leans the trims out thus neutralising the $500 PC.  Doesn't make sense to me.

BTW, I was offered a PC for my Girly by BSD, but decided against for the above reason, so I think they did do one at one time or another.

Regarding TuneECU, it's free software -Google it, and read everything you can find because the TuneECU user guide is (or was anyway) rubbish.  Others have written much better.  You can always search on here as well, there's lots on the subject as quite a few have dabbled now.  Once you've got the software and cable and managed to connect to the bike feel free to ask for help. :wink:

Bixxer I thought you was getting rid of the Blue Flame? I'll take you up on that offer of help,were do you live and I'll be down in the spring :wink: .

Bixxer Bob

I was getting rid of the Blueflame because my wife said it was really noisy but we found that the panniers were amplifying the sound.  With the boxes off it's not too bad, especially if I drop down to a stock tune.  It's my power tune that really makes it rasp.

You're welcome anytime, just remind me again what I was helping you with?

Chris Canning

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"I was getting rid of the Blueflame because my wife said it was really noisy but we found that the panniers were amplifying the sound.  With the boxes off it's not too bad, especially if I drop down to a stock tune.  It's my power tune that really makes it rasp.

You're welcome anytime, just remind me again what I was helping you with?

Panniers!!! are for folk who don't know how to pack  :D ,having just booked a plane flight to the Valencia GP,and found they want 25 quid per bag each way,it's hang luggage only,as my other half pointed out if we can survive on what's in a topbox and tankbag for two weeks it shouldn't be a problem  :D