News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Clutch cover cracked...

Started by Cache, September 21, 2004, 06:11:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cache

any idea off hand what material the clutch cover is made out of on a '97?  Aluminum, Magnesium??  Cracked her on a BIG rock and she's seeping.  Hopefully it's just plain old aluminum and I can weld it up.  

RedMenace, I would bet you have some input here   :wink:
\"Ah but fortunately... I have the key, to escape reality\" - John Prine

RedMenace

I *Think* it  is aluminum. Try lighting it afire :wink:

My buddy, Joel, bashed his brake pedal thru the clutch cover in a get off. He took a small piece of aluminum diamond plate, pounded it to fit the curve and glued it in place with JBWeld. That was a couple of years ago- it is still holding, looks trick and doesn't leak.
The Red Menace

Cache

Quote from: "RedMenace"I *Think* it  is aluminum. Try lighting it afire :wink:

My buddy, Joel, bashed his brake pedal thru the clutch cover in a get off. He took a small piece of aluminum diamond plate, pounded it to fit the curve and glued it in place with JBWeld. That was a couple of years ago- it is still holding, looks trick and doesn't leak.

Heh.  I found out what happens to magnesium while welding my rear brake drum on my RM250!  JB Weld is a great trail fix, but I plan to weld it up this winter, provided it's just aluminum.  I can still ride her, seeps a bit.  Wrong side for an auto chain oiler :?

I snapped my left side mirror mount/clutch reservoir trying to get that damn mirror off.  I cleaned it up and gooped JB Weld into the threads and around the broken chunk.  Hasn't budged for a year.  I have a piece of bailing wire attached around it as a safety measure.  Hate to see it fly off and stick in my buddy!
\"Ah but fortunately... I have the key, to escape reality\" - John Prine

Have a CLOSE look at the cover in question. I think that if it is magnesium it has to have the word "magnesium" cast into it somewhere. It's because it is dangerous to weld it using the wrong method.