News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

My "new" Tiger

Started by D-Fuzz, September 15, 2010, 01:21:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

D-Fuzz

I have been lurking on here for a couple years now, learning what I could about Tigers along the way.  I have wanted one for quite sometime now, I just needed to wait for the right bike to come along.  Thankfully, it did and at a time I had the money to pull the trigger.

I am now the owner of a black 1996 Tiger with only 9800 miles on it.  I am very pleased and look forward to many enjoyable miles of riding.

Scott

1996 Tiger 885, black

Yukon

Congratulations on the new purchase.  That is one fine looking steamer.

Nick Calne

Nice! Welcome to the gang.
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

BruKen

Congratuations :) Black is the fastest colour of course and you are to be commended. A couple years lurking and you bought one anyway. Now that is class. Top man!

WVdyhrd

This looks conspicusly like a recent bike posted on advrider....if so i'm waiting on my plane ticket  :D  If not, congrats either way
When all else fails, be lucky.

"...he proceeded, taking whatever road his horse pleased: for therin he believed, consisted the true spirit of adventure."- Don Quixote - Miguel de Cervantes

advrider->wvdyhrd

D-Fuzz

The plan is for me to bring the bike home this coming Tuesday.  I will be meeting the transporter in Montana and then bringing it home from there.

When I start it for the first time, what do I need to be weary of so I don't screw something up?  I have read about the sprag clutch issue and such, so I want to be ultra cautious the first time, until I get used to the bike.

A couple buddies and I have a short overnighter planned for next weekend so I can test the bike out.  About 1500km roundtrip with a night of camping.  I am looking forward to it.  I rode my DR650 on an 11,000km trip this summer and thought it was plenty comfortable, so I am looking forward to what "real" comfort feels like.  I have a set of Andystrapz bags to use on the Tiger and at some point I will look for a topcase, but for next weekend, I will be roughing it.
Scott

1996 Tiger 885, black

Mustang

put the choke lever at about 1/2 to 3/4 , turn on gas , hit starter button .
If everything is as it should be ....she will light right up and idle at around 2k or higher rpm use the choke to control the idle speed . let it idle at 2 k rpm for a minute or so then shut the choke off . she should settle down to a nice 1300 to 1500 rpm idle . She won't like any throttle input until it starts  to warm up some .

If it's a typical steamer it will start hard as hell in the springtime after sitting dormant all winter , this is when you will kill the sprag clutch .
Constant cranking will make even a new battery start turning the motor over slower and slower . Don't keep trying it as this is the point when it will eat the sprag .

D-Fuzz

Well, the Tiger is sitting safe & sound in my garage.  What a beautiful bike!  It only has 9313 miles on it and looks like it is practically new.  I am hard-pressed to find even a scratch or scuff on it.  I was going to start it up this morning, but I decided to throw the battery charger on for a couple hours just to make sure the battery is fully juiced up.  I am super happy with the bike, can't wait to ride it.
Scott

1996 Tiger 885, black

D-Fuzz

It fired up, no problem.  It is certainly a different sounding engine than I am used to (my other bike is a DR650), but it does sound sweet.  Now to get it insured so I can go for a ride. :D
Scott

1996 Tiger 885, black

Mustang

you are going to be looking like a fool with a big shit eating grin for the first 100 miles . :lol:

you should have many trouble free miles before it even needs service

these three have  combined mileages of 175,000 miles for the three bikes
and they HAVE scuffs and scratches on em :ImaPoser

D-Fuzz

The great thing about this bike is it came with all the service records from new, including the original bill of sale, so I know exactly what was done for maintenance and such.  I know what you mean about the sh!t-eating grin though.  I haven't been able to wipe it off since I got the bike home.  I am functioning on 2 hrs sleep but can't help going out to the garage to look at it. :D  :D
Scott

1996 Tiger 885, black

Colonel Nikolai

Wow that's some awfully low miles on that thing! You're very lucky. Never seen a white / silver engine guard like that.

I have the same color, same year but I got it with 28k on it end of the season last year (now has 31k). Runs great but I need to check valve clearances and do the DAR this winter.
Mostly commuting around town on the Steamer these days.

D-Fuzz

I know, I couldn't believe how low the miles were on it either.  I certainly lucked out.

I had the bike out for a bit of a ride tonight.  It started a little bit tough, but seemed to idle fine.  I let it idle with the choke on for a few minutes, but it seemed to bog when you tried to give it some gas, then it would take off.  I put a bottle of fuel conditioner in the tank and filled it with fresh gas.  I took it out for about a 1/2 ride on the highway and it seemed to help, so I am thinking maybe some stale gas.  One thing I did notice is the temp gauge never really got above cold.  Now it was cold out tonight ~+4C, and riding on the highway likely didn't help matters.

After my short ride, one thing I will say is what a great piece of machinery.  It pulls like a truck and at 80mph it was smooth as silk.  The rear shock seemed a little soft, so I will need to adjust it a little, but WOW!  Riding my DR650 is like riding a bicycle compared to the Tiger.
Scott

1996 Tiger 885, black

Colonel Nikolai

Quote from: "D-Fuzz"I had the bike out for a bit of a ride tonight.  It started a little bit tough, but seemed to idle fine.  I let it idle with the choke on for a few minutes, but it seemed to bog when you tried to give it some gas, then it would take off.  I put a bottle of fuel conditioner in the tank and filled it with fresh gas.  I took it out for about a 1/2 ride on the highway and it seemed to help, so I am thinking maybe some stale gas.  

Mine was worse than that when I got it. Turns out one carb the needle was worn badly and all the jets were clogged. It had no power until you got it over 2800 RPM then the power would kick in. I had a pro rebuild the carbs and re-sync them. If something like that happens again I will try and do it myself.

Mine is hesitant for the first 30-45 seconds or so. After that it's fine.

Quote from: "D-Fuzz"One thing I did notice is the temp gauge never really got above cold.  Now it was cold out tonight ~+4C, and riding on the highway likely didn't help matters.

Mine is always like that unless it's over 67-70 degrees Fahrenheit or if I'm idling for long periods of time. Both my 1st generation Trumpets do that.

Colonel Nikolai

Quote from: "D-Fuzz"The rear shock seemed a little soft, so I will need to adjust it a little.

Mine was completely shot. I had Suspensions by Sasquatch rebuild it. It's completely awesome now. Like a different bike. Fact is the original shock is not that great and VERY soft.