News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Older is better

Started by fret, September 15, 2010, 02:59:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fret

Having had a 1050 for the last 3 1/2 years I have returned to a 955.
It's a far better bike for touring, handles just as well (for most) better luggage, tank range, wind protection and presence.

Whilst the 1050 is quicker, more responsive (the 955 feels like a slug in comparison) it just has too many issues with it and doesn't really fit in anywhere.

It's not a trailie style Adventure bike
Too tall to be Bandit/Fazer competition
A bit "flighty" in the handling due to the geometry.
Thrupenny bits slow roundabouts.
Nickable luggage
Luggage far too small
Luggage and pillion sit far too high.
Stupid oil check procedure
Drinks a bit of oil

As well as that I have had one set of clocks at 2500, warped discs at 5000 and they current ones are also warping. One failed fork seal at 8000 miles too. The oil consumption of early ones is often suspect and the engine was starting to sound like a bucket of nails after just 11000 miles. My old 955 and 2007 "new" 955 has similar miles and is like a sewing machine.
THere have also been plenty of reports of 2006/2007 models going bang big time.
Obviously this doesn't apply to all the bikes, but I was not 100% confident with the model.

Now all I need are inner bags for when the panniers fill up with water  :lol:

Nick Calne

Bad luck on the 1050.  Hope the 955 works out.  Not interested in the forthcoming bikes?
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

Advwannabe

Hey Fret, I too am saddened it hasn't worked out with the 1050. I like how this forum doesn't drink kool-aid about its own bikes and therefore we all know a bad one is possible.

Being blesssed with a tall wife and some off road ambitions the 1050 was never for me, but I have several mates who enjoy theirs.

Hope your next bike brings you much joy
No good deed goes unpunished
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180

fret

I will wait a few years to see what the bikes are like first. I did that with the Trophy I had and the first 955 Tiger.
I may go for the 1200 Tiger when it's eventually finished though. :D

I've had a 900 carbed, a 955i and a 1050 and simply went back to the 955 as it's a better real world bike and it looks like a trailie, which is the style of bike that I prefer.

I'm not moaning about the few bad things that there were really, but I was never completely happy with it.

Going back to headlights that actually do their job was a major revelation though. How a 150mph bike with a candle that barely lets you do 40mph is beyond be. Even after fitting an HID kit that could pass the beam test on the MOT it was poor.