News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Engine light

Started by Hemibee, September 15, 2010, 05:04:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hemibee

I just replaced the ignition switch on my 2001 Girly and when I fired the bike up the engine light stayed on.  I suspect this is due to having the battery disconnected overnight, will the light or should the light reset after I've run the bike for a little longer than just the test of the ignition switch?

If that doesn't work I guess I could try the 12 minute run on the side stand.  Am I thinking right on this or should I be looking else where for another issue?

Thanks in advance for the help... Tony
2004 KTM 450 EXC
2001 Triumph Tiger (Gone)
2013 Triumph Tiger 800XC

"Male menopause is a lot more fun than female menopause. With female menopause you gain weight and get hot flashes. Male menopause - you get to date young girls and drive motorcycles."  John Wayne

Mustang

the light will go out after a few cycles of riding the bike .
start it , ride it , shut it off ...repeat

mat-tiger1

Quote from: "Hemibee"I just replaced the ignition switch on my 2001 Girly and when I fired the bike up the engine light stayed on.  I suspect this is due to having the battery disconnected overnight, will the light or should the light reset after I've run the bike for a little longer than just the test of the ignition switch?

If that doesn't work I guess I could try the 12 minute run on the side stand.  Am I thinking right on this or should I be looking else where for another issue?

Thanks in advance for the help... Tony

Hi Hemibee,

:iagree With Mustang, Three, start, run & shutdown cycles usually does the trick!

All the best,

Mat-tiger1.
All the best, Mat-tiger1. 👍
2021 Tiger 900 RP & 1982 Yamaha XT550 (For old times sake) Bike history:- 2018 Tiger 800 XCA Korosi Red. 2015 Tiger 800 XCX Caspian Blue, 2005 Tiger 955i Lucifer Orange.

Hemibee

Thanks for the replies... Got side tracked and didn't get the chance to ride, will try to ride when I get off work.
2004 KTM 450 EXC
2013 Triumph Tiger 800XC

"Male menopause is a lot more fun than female menopause. With female menopause you gain weight and get hot flashes. Male menopause - you get to date young girls and drive motorcycles."  John Wayne

TigerTrax

I left on a 600 mile day with the engine lite on after disconnecting the battery.... I stopped for gas twice..... finally hit a hotel that night.
Next morning..... fired up .... light went out..... relief!
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

Wiggus

This happened to me recently. I had it in the shop for something else and mentioned it to the mechanic. He claims disconnecting the battery won't trigger the engine light; "I've been dong this for 12 years and disconnecting the battery won't trigger the light. You must've had another error."

I dunno. That's what he said.

It went out after several rides.
You Will Know Me By The Trail of Bolts...

Bixxer Bob

Sometimes it lights sometimes it doesn't.  I've not found why it's not consisent, it's just not, so don't worry about it.  These days though, for the price of a cable and a bit of reading, everyone can read their codes without needing a dealer.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Hemibee

Haven't had much of a chance to ride this week, did ride for about an hour on Monday.  The bike sat in the garage until this morning.  Didn't even think about the light until after I got to work and realized it was not on.

I've got a 350 mile trip planned for tomorrow so at least I don't have to worry about the light being on for some reason other than the battery was disconnected.
2004 KTM 450 EXC
2013 Triumph Tiger 800XC