News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Triumph Story

Started by Chris Canning, September 16, 2010, 09:40:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Canning

Interesting artical in MCN this week on about Triumphs(Bloor) history,which in reality is very short,but interesting non the less.

cosmo

Seems to me that the history 'stories' regarding Bloor have changed over the years.

I DO recall the 1982 article in Iron Horse (American mag, back in the day) about Triumph's closing.

Heard nothing until late 80's about Bloor.

Then, the story was that he found out that he had inadvertantly purchased the Triumph name (and assets, such as they were) with the land, and was talked into giving it a go.

Now, the story is that he purposely bought Triumph motorcycle for the motorcycle, rather than for the land.

The former makes more sense to me, as in 1983 the Triumph name was thought worthless, and could have easily been tossed into the land.
auction.

Sorry about the rant.

Cosmo
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

Nick Calne

I'd imagine the truth would be more convoluted still.  People like Bloor tend to make very shrewd judgments and tend not to do things by accident...  Ending up building motorbikes by default...probably not!  Buying an old motorbike brand just because?...hmmm!  Getting it because it was part of a land deal?  Probably.  Who knows?  Maybe they just see opportunities more clearly than the next guy?

What is truly amazing is success the guy has generated.  When you look at Triumph's bike line up this year they have a genuine challenger for almost every market sector.  There are also some bikes that they've made in the past twenty years that are real 'classics' too.  I'm thinking about the daytona675 and the street triple in particular; they have really been better than their European and Japanese equivalents.

(BTW the steamer found it's way onto the road again today after the snapping swingarm drama.  First biking in a couple of months - magic!)
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

akendall1966

Another piece of the story after Meridan closed and Bloor bought the name he leased it out to a Guy called len .... in Newton Abbot Devon who carried on making the old Bonnie. He spent quite a bit tooling up with the latest CNC gear to make a ... 20~30 year old bike. Needless to say sales was too small and it folded after a couple of years.
----AK-----

NeilD

Quote from: "akendall1966". leased it out to a Guy called len .... .

Les Harris..  :wink:

akendall1966

Quote from: "NeilD"
Quote from: "akendall1966". leased it out to a Guy called len .... .

Les Harris..  :wink:

That's the fella  :oops:
----AK-----

Chris Canning

While on a factory visit some years ago,there were allsorts of things that i wasn't impressed about,being tale end charlie and while folk were hanging on everything motorcycle wise,some of the working practices that were clearly visible by what was on the wall,when i took time to read them and then turned round was met with some wry smiles from the track staff when i showed my disgust,not my idea of earning a living.

John Stenhouse

Gosh Chris, is there any thing that impresses you?
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Chris Canning

My Tiger does on a 600+ mile day,but i had to change a lot on it till it did.

As for everything else!!,well thats complicated,having worked in the printing trade for 37 years,circumstances dictated I should do something else,the last 3 years have been e'rmmm e'rrr,shall we say on the fringes of the bike trade,i'm not distanced enough from it at the moment to tell some great stories,but after these last 3(it felt like 10 ) years jesus i could write a book,so having had a close view of various aspects  :roll: ,i may come across jaded,hence why i like to pay for a little as possible like so many others out there  :wink:

One thing is forsure when the bike is invented that runs on BS,there'll be a fair few in the trade riding round for free thats a cert.