News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Valve shimming

Started by DobroDog, September 23, 2010, 04:34:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DobroDog

@ 30,000 miles the valves needed shimming on my Tiger. What parts are wearing down that make shimming necessary?

Thanks

DobroDog
DobroDog

Mustang

2 things cause it

1. the valves are actually pounding themselves deeper and deeper into the valve seats
(on a pushrod type engine , not overhead cam , they would get looser . On a overhead cam engine like tiger they get tighter )

2. the the valve face is actually starting to mushroom away from the stem which will let the valve stem come higher into the head thus reducing clearance .

sorta like whats happened to this woman's umbrella

DobroDog

Quote from: "Mustang"2 things cause it

1. the valves are actually pounding themselves deeper and deeper into the valve seats
(on a pushrod type engine , not overhead cam , they would get looser . On a overhead cam engine like tiger they get tighter )

2. the the valve face is actually starting to mushroom away from the stem which will let the valve stem come higher into the head thus reducing clearance .

sorta like whats happened to this woman's umbrella

Thanks Mustang, clear enough for even me to understand.

DobroDog
DobroDog

ChazzyB

Quote from: "Mustang"1. the valves are actually pounding themselves deeper and deeper into the valve seats

Au contraire, clearances will close up on a pushrod engine too, if the valve head is burying itself in its seat. Wear anywhere else in the valve train will see gaps getting larger, so just the same as an OHC engine.
Charles
1971 BSA A65L Lightning
1953 AJS 18S

cosmo

On a flattie, they will tighten up. Might be what he was thinking.

Causes burnt valves.

Cosmo
Life is too important to be taken seriously.