News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

throttle cable adjuster broken (i think)

Started by tyger, September 23, 2010, 10:47:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyger

dang it. The weather cooperates AND I get the fuel line o-rings back on last night to ride today. I take off, fill up first off, grab breakfast and then head to work. I notice it doesn't want to rev down after breakfast. I manually twist the throttle all the way back and it may or may not get it down to idle or down any at all.
I pull over and inspect the throttle cable. It appears the plastic adjustment unit on the grip end has broken off. The cable goes in but the threaded "bolt" appears to be broken off even with the plastic lock nut. I eventually get the bike home and take the van to work. :(
Shutting the bike off in emergency mode while it's revving at 6k tends to leave it in a flooded hard to start place.
I'll take pics tonight-- do these break often? Are they still all plastic pieces? Is it really an entire throttle cable replacement?
Dealer doesn't have any in stock, but some were on the shipment that gets in next week.
\'05 Tiger, BRG
tyger, tyger, burning bright...
What immortal hand or eye/ Could frame thy fearful symmetry? (W.Blake)

KuzzinKenny

Hey tyger !! not 100% sure, but i think its part of the throttle cable and not a separate part !! its still a bummer it happened tho !!

KK
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

tyger

Yup one piece.

The problem might be related to the pin that holds the switch in the one position is broke, allowing it to spin, which may have put undue pressure on this little threaded plastic tube. It snapped right where the threads start.
\'05 Tiger, BRG

tyger

attached is a picture of the broken pieces. At the top you can see the pin inside the housing that is supposed to hold the housing in one position by fitting into the hole in the handlebar. It is snapped nearly off. I'm thinking about trying to reglue it with a little nail or wire inside so that the housing doesn't spin and put strain on the plastic throttle cable unit again.

At the bottom of the pic you can just see the broken plastic part of the cable.
\'05 Tiger, BRG

cosmo

Wrap some sandpaper around the handlebar. That should be enough to keep the control from twisting.

Cosmo
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

tyger

the weather is sooooo nice I'm gonna die!

:BangHead  :BangHead

I called up to the dealer today and he said the triumph parts came in and the gal just left for lunch but he was sure the throttle cable was in there. I tell the boss man I'm making a long lunch and drive all the way up there. No cable. I've got my ISCV grommet, but no cable that I really really really need.

Apparently there isn't a cross-reference part either.  :cry:
\'05 Tiger, BRG