News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

885 neutral switch

Started by frankyboy, September 23, 2010, 10:58:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frankyboy

been quoted  £32 for new part ,faulty when hot,any ideas
love life love lyme ,

rf9rider

I read somewhere else about a faulty switch.

Try screwing it in a touch, although don`t force it.

May help?

Colonel Nikolai

Mine's been giving me trouble every so often but I think it just needs lube. Sometimes shuts off the bike even when the kickstand is up.
Mostly commuting around town on the Steamer these days.

frankyboy

thanks for help ,it does cut out sometimes ,will try to repair/lube switch
love life love lyme ,

Gadge

Im glad I saw this thread,I have had an intermitant problem with my Tiger,as described the neutral light on my bike goes out when the engine is hot.Recently the engine has been cutting out when its really warmed up and after a chance to cool down it has ran okay until hot again and the problem starts all over.
I was begining to think that the neutral switch was the problem,rf9rider suggests screwing it in,can you explain how to do this and where it can be found.
Im hoping that it can be cured in this manner,from what you say it sounds a common problem.
Thanks for any help you can give
Gary

Colonel Nikolai

Quote from: "Gadge"the neutral light on my bike goes out when the engine is hot.

Um, that's not exactly my problem, sorry if I might have mislead anyone. Sometimes my 96 tigger will shut itself off when I put it in gear even though the kickstand is up. Lubing the switch should help this problem.

If your bike's neutral light doesn't light up when in neutral and randomly cuts out once the bike gets hot, that sounds a lot more like a serious electrical problem. Could be the switch but that's way down at the bottom of the bike near the top of the kickstand. Not subject to so much heat I would think. Mind you I'm guessing. I'm not one of the grown-ups on this board.

Mustang

Quote from: "Gadge"Recently the engine has been cutting out when its really warmed up and after a chance to cool down it has ran okay until hot again and the problem starts all over.

Gary

Classic Ignition pick up sensor failure
75 bucks
under the right hand side crankshaft cover

the neutral light has nothing to do with it . although it may be inconvenient to not have the green light sometimes it has nothing to do with the above symptoms you state

Colonel Nikolai

Thanks mustang for preventing another terrible "blind leading the blind" incident here on tigertriple.com.

Gadge

Mustang, Colonel Nikolai,thanks for the replies,I was under the impression that the kick stand switch and the neutral light switch are seperate things.
Both answers will at least give me a starting place,thanks again.
Gary

rybes

Quote from: "Colonel Nikolai"Um, that's not exactly my problem, sorry if I might have mislead anyone. Sometimes my 96 tigger will shut itself off when I put it in gear even though the kickstand is up. Lubing the switch should help this problem.

i had that problem, turned out is was the wrong relay fitted. its the relay by the back of the tank. have a look cos the terminals on mine were really rusty. ya relay might be on the way out. i treid a few aftermarket relays but found the only one that worked proper was the triumph one.
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

frankyboy

bought new switch ,only £10. local breaker ,RESULT...
love life love lyme ,