News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Currently replacing TPS sensor, TBs are out. What else?

Started by haroldo_psf, September 30, 2010, 10:07:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bixxer Bob

Well,,,,, I didn't remove them to do mine.  But there again, I didn't have to change any shims either.  Where does it say to remove them?
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

haroldo_psf

I thought I had read in the sticky TB removal "how to" thread that it was necessary for valve adjustment/inspection, but now I went back there, and I think I was smoking something, because I can't find it!

So, the TBs don't need to come out I guess, which is good! Thanks

One more highjack real quick...

After I replaced my TPS, the bike is running so nicely that I get scared thinking about how bad it was before.

Is it possible for a bad TPS sensor to cause permanent damage to the engine? I mean, if the TPS is as bad as mine was, the engine must be constantly running with the wrong A/F ratio...That can't be good.

Has anyone experienced bad things from a TPS (I mean, a burnt valve or something)?
2000 Tiger 885i

walker

maybe check your plugs, as they might get fouled, run hot, electrodes burned, etc .... but if those are fine, and the bike runs good, ride it till it dies! :)

I'm not sure why it says to remove the throttle bodies. I never did and did not have a problem. Maybe it's some easier way to remove the valve cover with the intake off? dunno.

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "haroldo_psf"Is it possible for a bad TPS sensor to cause permanent damage to the engine? I mean, if the TPS is as bad as mine was, the engine must be constantly running with the wrong A/F ratio...That can't be good.

I can see what you're getting at H, but the bad TPS simply gives a dirty signal to the ECU so the ECU isn't sure which part of the map to use.  For example, if you watch a bad TPS on tuneboy, instead of using the correct value for engine load / throttle position it'll be jumping around - mine was leaping two values in either direction of where it should have been.  Although it gives a lumpy ride, the values are not so far out that the engine is going to be massively rich or lean so I don't think you have anything to worry about.  As the man says, just ride it.

One other point,,,,,  if it was that bad, it could be that you've inadvertently cured another common problem on 955i engines; that of the leaky TB gasket.  If the TB gasket is leaking you'll get enough air going by to upset low revs, but not enough to make any difference higher up the rev range.  Again, although the extra air makes for lumpy running, it's not so lean that it'll do any damage.  If it was that lean it wouldn't run at low revs at all.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

haroldo_psf

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"
Quote from: "haroldo_psf"Is it possible for a bad TPS sensor to cause permanent damage to the engine? I mean, if the TPS is as bad as mine was, the engine must be constantly running with the wrong A/F ratio...That can't be good.

I can see what you're getting at H, but the bad TPS simply gives a dirty signal to the ECU so the ECU isn't sure which part of the map to use.  For example, if you watch a bad TPS on tuneboy, instead of using the correct value for engine load / throttle position it'll be jumping around - mine was leaping two values in either direction of where it should have been.  Although it gives a lumpy ride, the values are not so far out that the engine is going to be massively rich or lean so I don't think you have anything to worry about.  As the man says, just ride it.

One other point,,,,,  if it was that bad, it could be that you've inadvertently cured another common problem on 955i engines; that of the leaky TB gasket.  If the TB gasket is leaking you'll get enough air going by to upset low revs, but not enough to make any difference higher up the rev range.  Again, although the extra air makes for lumpy running, it's not so lean that it'll do any damage.  If it was that lean it wouldn't run at low revs at all.

Bob,

Those are good points. Thanks! About the leaky gasket...When I removed the TBs, there was no gasket per say...There was some remaining material that looked like a very thin redish film that was intermitently present along the mating surfaces... So, either whoever removed the TBs in the past did not put a gasket in there, or the gaskets tend to desintegrate over time? For those of you who have removed the TBs, how does the old gasket look like?
2000 Tiger 885i

Bixxer Bob

The old TB gasket is normal greyish gasket material, about 0.5mm thick, there's no way it could just "disappear".  You didn't have one and I'd put money on that being the main source of your woes.