News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

HID

Started by Chris Canning, December 12, 2010, 02:02:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Canning

I've used an HID on another bike for years,looking at the size of ballast box  :oops:  in comparison with the latest offerings too long,but my question anyone run 2 HID's and is there enough room to cram everything in??,I've only ever run dip which has been more than good enough.

Thought I'd ask the question while I'm on a role with the Tiger in bits,before moving on to the next winter referb on another bike  :roll:

Bixxer Bob

I'm not sure this is going to help Chris, but I run two HIDs on my 'Bird.  The ballast boxes are about the size of a twenty fag packet and I have them tie-wrapped to the frame rails inside the side fairing panels.

They came with fairly long bulb leads so on the Tiger is there room to get them in between the frame rails immediately behind the headstock?  I notice that many of the new kits have ballast boxes that are credit card size, so they could probably go behind the headlight assembly or immediately under it.  Do you have a link to the ones you have in mind?
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Chris Canning

Bob

Having done more than my fair share of sticking my head over the parapit,I'm trying to make life easy!!,it's looks pretty dam tight to me small ballast boxs or not hence the question,even trawling the net there's neither heaps of info or for that fact suppliers,I've had a bit to do with guy who runs the HID-50,and while it would be easy to contact him,I'd see rather what folks have done on here first.

Chris Canning

As an add one,as most use the optional relay to have both lights on at the same time,is that still going to be OK with two HID's on the go  :?

Bixxer Bob

I've not run twin filament HIDs so I'm not sure how they work.  From what I've read though, it seems they run one HID for dip and one xenon filament for main beam so that you don't get any delay flashing main beam - but don't quote me.  Regarding the relay, most are rated at 30 amps so that gives you a total of 360-390 watts depending on whether you've 12 or 13 volts with the engine running.  Even if the HID ran illegal 100 watt xenon filaments and HID for dip, you'd be ok as the HIDs - despite putting out loads of light - only draw 35 watts each giving 270 watts max in total.

Regarding fitting the HIDS though, I'll do some digging as I've fancied fitting some myself for a while.  Only one way to find out and that's part with some cash... :D

EDIT: Chris, I'm going to continue this in "Speaking of Bikes" as it may be of interest to other Tigers too.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Chris Canning

All I'm interested in is running two dips,main beam!! F.me I can't see that far  :wink: .

NKL

I was under the impression that the dippable ones run one fillament and have a mechanical shutter arangement that switches between beams hence no delay.
I\'m immortal..........well so far!!!
-----------------------------------
\'08 KTM 990 Adventure
\'91 Black XTZ 750
\'10 TM 250 EN
\'07 CCM 404
Renault Traffic 100

NKL

Dohh ...Just read the other posts.
I\'m immortal..........well so far!!!
-----------------------------------
\'08 KTM 990 Adventure
\'91 Black XTZ 750
\'10 TM 250 EN
\'07 CCM 404
Renault Traffic 100

Tigger_rider

Hi All  I installed hids in my 06 a while back. The kit was supposed to be plug and play, but I had to modify the harness a lot. The bulbs I got use a solenoid to change the position of the HID capsule to simulate 2 filaments. The other type bulbs are Low Beam hid only and HID lo with xenon high. The solenoid type bulbs are a bit longer and barely cleared the fairing tube mounts. I was able to stuff both 35 watt ballasts in behind the headlight buckets but it was tight. Planning on farkling them with longer wires and mounting under tailpiece with the ballasts for the HID driving lights. Here is a link to the web site. Located in Canada.  http://www.futurevisionhid.com/products ... d-kit.html     Hope this helps. The HIDS are great at night.   OLY

Chris Canning

Do you run this set up with the extra relay in.

Tigger_rider

Which one are you talking about? I went with hooking each ballast/solenoid into the separate headlight plugs so if one should fail, there is a backup of sorts. Both ballasts fed off a common fused lead directly from battery controlled by a relay to kill power when the key is off.

Chris Canning

The relay I am on about is the one that Triumph do not supply and War and Piece has been written about on the forums, that you buy as an extra and then have both lights on at the same time.

Tigger_rider

US versions of the Tiger have that relay stock. Both my Tigers had both headlights on at the same time. If you go the dual HID with solenoid  high beam route, you wouldnt need the extra relay. Just trigger both lights off of one stock Hi/Lo light plug. That is, use the stock Hi/Low to control the solenoid and wire the ballasts to the battery thru a switched relay. I hooked my relay up near the batt and power it with the tail light wire.   OLY