News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Are these symptoms related to one issue or more?

Started by jmblodgett, October 06, 2010, 04:39:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmblodgett

My 1999 Tiger has been exhibiting some behaviors that I'm beginning to wonder if they are related to one solution or multiple:

1) Idle speed is typically 750-900 RPM, though sometimes after it's been running a while it'll drop to 500 or so.

2) On two occasions I've stalled the bike after trying to start moving after a cold start. Both times it was a pain to get it started and running again without giving it some throttle while hitting the starter button. The most recent time I needed to stay on the throttle a bit so it wouldn't stall again.

3) My gas mileage varies greatly, even in situations where all things remain constant. For example, on a recent long distance trip I got 36 MPG for one section, followed by 50 MPG the next -- and my riding style, the terrain, etc. had not changed appreciably.

Can anyone provide any insight?

haroldo_psf

I'm new to Tigers myself. I recently got a 2000 885i. It had a stalling issue, and rough lumpy idling like you describe.

I have to far replaced the TB gasket, EFI relay, IACV stepper motor, and the TPS sensor. That made a huge improvement in throttle reponse and completely cured the stalling issue.

I still have the low and lumpy idling at 900rpm when it should be at 1200. My next thing is to replace the crankshaft sensor, as it is on order.

I am not saying this will solve your problems, but your symptoms are dam similar to mine, and there are only so many components in the equation: the computer, sensors, and actuators... Chances are the computer is fine... So you are left with the sensors are actuators, which is what I am replacing/replaced, and had huge positive results so far... After the crankshaft sensor is replaced, my bike with 52K miles should be cured of all evil and run like new! (or so I pray and wish for...).

It runs like a champ right now other than the rough idling... About a month ago it wouldn't even run at a stop...it would stall...throttle response was slow too...
2000 Tiger 885i

jmblodgett

Thanks for the great response. Where do you buy your parts?

KuzzinKenny

Quote from: "jmblodgett"Thanks for the great response. Where do you buy your parts?

Hey guys !! it helps if you put yer location in yer profile !!  :)

Welcome to TT.com  :thumbsup

KK
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

haroldo_psf

Quote from: "jmblodgett"Thanks for the great response. Where do you buy your parts?

I'm in San Jose, CA. I either get them at the Triumph stealer, or from www.worldoftriumph.com (click on Parts Locator).

Typically, world of triumph always has things in stock, but they ship from England.

Third option is BikeBandit.com, but they have a 3 weeks lead time for any Triumph part.
2000 Tiger 885i

jmblodgett

Yeah, BikeBandit.com is the one site I did find, I just wanted to learn of another, so thanks for the tip!

I'm in Salt Lake City, Utah by the way. I'll fill out my profile one of these days when I get a sec.