News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

98 Steamer with a broken center stand

Started by Bob Tosi, October 15, 2010, 02:45:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Tosi

The foot brace that is used to help you get the beast on the center stand failed, so now I cant get her on the centerstand.  It looks like to me the exhaust needs to come off to get at the bolt holding the suspension and centerstand.   The manual says no but it is not specific for the Tiger.

I need to get it off to re-weld the foot brace.
Don't ever sell a Steamer !Steamers Rule!"

Bob Tosi

nightrunner

So you can't take it to a shop and they can weld it while still mounted?  With the bike on the stand the weld would be far enough away from sensitive components.   Seems like a lot of work to remove it.
Scott

Seeking adventure and peril

Bixxer Bob

If they electric weld in situ make sure they disconnect the alternator and battery first - but if they know what they're doing they will anyway... :roll:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Bob Tosi

I was hoping to get it tig welded so I need to get it off the bike.

JetdocX

Is that a stock centerstand?  Maybe check with Twisted Throttle and see what an aftermarket one costs versus welding that POS back up?  

And removing the centerstand will take a bike lift or some kind of sling to support the bike while you remove the sidestand and the exhaust.  Or just lay 'er down on the garage floor.
From parts unknown.

BR

Yes, that is an OEM center stand (I'm the prev owner).. came with the bike new back in '98.

Bob:  how did that happen?  Just from putting weight on it to get bike up on the C/S or a crash?   In my yrs of ownership, I rarely used the side stand.... it was always on the C/S.    And btw, I did remove the C/S sometime in the year before I sold it.  Greased it up and cleaned it.   And yes, it is a pain to remove... need to loosen and drop the exhaust headers among other things.

Brendan

twistedthrottle

Quote from: "JetdocX"Is that a stock centerstand?  Maybe check with Twisted Throttle and see what an aftermarket one costs versus welding that POS back up?  

And removing the centerstand will take a bike lift or some kind of sling to support the bike while you remove the sidestand and the exhaust.  Or just lay 'er down on the garage floor.

Yes we do have one - I believe: http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/2004/501/ sorry for the shameless plug but it really may just be the easiest and cheapest solution.  We have 5 in stock.

http://twistedthrottle.com

Peace Dale, RI

Bob Tosi

I think the tubing is just to thin.  Im 220 and the bike is 400+ so thats alot of stress on that small tubing.  Plus Ive banged it a few times riding in the dirt so that could be it.

So that stand is for the 98 Tiger?

Bob Tosi

well I finally got this fixed . the angle was a little off but it works ok. try to get pics.

rybes

took ya long enuff :lol:
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

Bob Tosi

wel its actually been fixed for awhile but Ive been so busy with work and OT that I havent had a chance to post up the results

Bob Tosi

The fabricating work itself is perfect. The only problem it turns out is the angle I had the footbrace placed. It needs more upward rotation to give a better a lever arm.  It gets the bike up on the stand but with some extra grunting.

rybes

ooooooo i like that, looks like it left the factory like it  8)  nice repair can ya do mine   its not broke, that jus looks nice :lol:
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

Bob Tosi

Quoteooooooo i like that, looks like it left the factory like it   nice repair can ya do mine its not broke, that jus looks nice

The guy who did this for me is an absolute artist when it comes to welding and fabrication.  This repair only cost me $50 too.

Where are you at?  Maybe we can work it out. I need to redo mine and change the angle of the foot brace and rotate it more upward so it will give better leverage.