News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Twin Headlight Mod Draining Battery

Started by BigMark, October 20, 2010, 07:35:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigMark

Hello Guys

I have just fitted the twin Headlight relays supplied from squaredeals (triumphonline) and they are draining my battery completely overnight (when not in use)

Obviously a power drain problem and I am hoping I am having a blonde moment..

Any suggestions?

Bixxer Bob

Mark, there are two types of relay, you have the wrong ones.

I'll explain more in a bit, home made chicken broth with suet dumplings beckons.....
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

BigMark

Save me some I will be round in 10mins

(oh no i won't, bike dont work  :? )

Bixxer Bob

Burrrpp!!!

Anyway,  there's a train of thought on here somewhere that suggests the genuine Triumph relays have an internal diode which prevents the problem.  I've not had one apart so can't comment, but it seems to me it'll be a config problem. Mine are Ebay specials and I haven't had any probs.

First, with the relays fitted are the lights both actually on, dip and main?

If the power supply to the relay for the lights is actually going through the relay coil to earth instead of to the lights, it won't be enough to illuminate the bulbs but will drain the battery.  But they won't work properly either.

Sorry, not much help here I'm afraid but these things are easier to sort hands-on....
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

daveb

found this on the Rat site,

http://www.triumphrat.net/tiger-mods-an ... stion.html

its a long read, the ones I changed to recently are the 5 pin type, when the starter is pressed the main lights go out.

hope this helps

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "daveb"....the starter is pressed the main lights go out....

Not sure where you're going with this Dave,  there's a relay that cuts the lights while starting to give the battery every chance to fire up the engine, but it's nowt to do with the "both lights on" mod.

BigMark

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"Burrrpp!!!

Anyway,  there's a train of thought on here somewhere that suggests the genuine Triumph relays have an internal diode which prevents the problem.  I've not had one apart so can't comment, but it seems to me it'll be a config problem. Mine are Ebay specials and I haven't had any probs.

First, with the relays fitted are the lights both actually on, dip and main?

If the power supply to the relay for the lights is actually going through the relay coil to earth instead of to the lights, it won't be enough to illuminate the bulbs but will drain the battery.  But they won't work properly either.

Sorry, not much help here I'm afraid but these things are easier to sort hands-on....

Hey Bob (why do I still call you Bob?)
After installation everything worked just like I thought it would both on high/both on low. Looked like a success.  
The power drain is The relays! It can be traced to fuse 1 which is in charge of these, pull the fuse, No more drain! I will take them out at the weekend and see what pin layout I have just in case I have the type without 30/87 opposite.

Not so Blonde after all then  8)

daveb

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"
Quote from: "daveb"....the starter is pressed the main lights go out....

Not sure where you're going with this Dave,  there's a relay that cuts the lights while starting to give the battery every chance to fire up the engine, but it's nowt to do with the "both lights on" mod.

cheers Bob, I am now more knowledgeable   :oops:

KuzzinKenny

Quote from: "daveb"found this on the Rat site,

http://www.triumphrat.net/tiger-mods-an ... stion.html

its a long read, the ones I changed to recently are the 5 pin type, when the starter is pressed the main lights go out.

hope this helps

Funny !! thats how i got it explained to me !!  :?

KK
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

BigMark

So where did you get the 5 pins from...

I would be interested in knowing who has what installed.. I will post up photos when i pull them out at the weekend. We can see what i got (oooh, i can feel the anticipation)

I have involved Frank at square deals, he has always been exceptionally helpfull and i will let you know how that goes also.

daveb

I bought the 5 pins relays from a small car accessories shop, I think they are Hella. £6 each.
I tried Halfords without success also tried GSF (German, Swedish & French) again no luck.

BigMark

I got the wrong relays sent to me. Frank sent the ones with pin 30 next to 87 instead of opposite. He sent this on to me unaware of the wrong part as he has supplied the right ones for 5 years without failure. As always he has responded with super hero speed and is sending me out the correct one today.

Problem solved. :)