News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Engine management light ON after coolant change

Started by haroldo_psf, October 20, 2010, 05:01:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

haroldo_psf

Sorry if this has been covered somewhere else.

I just got done with a coolant change.

I drained the coolant while on the sidestand, both coolant drain and bleed screws were off.

Put it on the center stand tightened the drain and bleed screws, and filled it up via the fill cap by the radiator.

I then used fuel extension lines, the exact ones described in the stickies that were made for the throttle body balancing thread (thanks!).

I ran the engine for a couple of minutes, with that plug on the right side of the bike disconnected from the tank (fuel level sensor?).

For whatever reason, the plastic connectors on the fuel extension lines were leaking a lot, so I stopped the engine, topped off the filler cap hole, and buttoned it back up.

I then notice the fuel management light is ON. I can't get my TuneECU and cable to connect. What could it be? All I did was the coolant...

I did unscrew the radiator to access some bolts I needed to remove the crash guards. I then moved the radiator out of the way a little bit and back.

Could the fans being disconnected cause a warning light to go on? I never disconnected them, but maybe they came loose when I moved it?

What else could cause this light to come on? Air in the engine side of the water pump?

Thanks for any help. I'd hate to take it to the stealer just to read me a code.
2000 Tiger 885i

fbarbas

Try starting and shuting it down, I think it was 5 times to clear the error codes.

Other thing to check, did you unplug the coolant temperature sensor? If you turned on the bike, while it was unplugged, will create an error code.

Hope that helps
Triumph Tiger 955i 2001 8-)
Honda Shadow 750 1983 SOLD 8-(

fbarbas

Ooops  :oops:

Just reread your last post, the fuel managment light just means you are low on fuel. What does the gas gauge show? If both show empty and the tank is full, you may have forgotten to plug the fuel level sensor level back in. It hides itself really well. Should be around the right side of the battery box. Don't ask how I know.  :roll:

Cheers
Triumph Tiger 955i 2001 8-)
Honda Shadow 750 1983 SOLD 8-(

Bixxer Bob

H,  if the fuel low warning light is on it's as Fbarbas said.  With the sensor reconnected the light should go out.  If not, read Evil Betty's post on fuel level sensor (I think it was EB... :roll: )

If the engine warning light is on, and caused by turning the ign on with a sensor disconnected, it's as he said earlier, three warm up cool down cycles will clear it provided that there's nothing else wrong. Or you can clear it with Tune ECU.

None of what you've done will stop the TuneECU connecting (I guess the older drivers worked then?) so something else is going on there.

Make sure the plug contacts are clean, connect to PC, turn ign on then boot up the software.  If no luck, try re-loading the drivers.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

haroldo_psf

thanks everyone. I will go home at lunch and try to turn it on and off 5 times.

It is not the fuel light that is ON, it is the Engine Management Light, as the manual calls it

I did turn the ignition on with the fuel level sensor disconnected, but it is connected now. Did that trigger it?

I also turned the ignition on with the fuel pump disconnected.

At this time, I still cannot connect my tuneECU, even with the 2.06 drivers that Bob (John) kindly jumped through endless hoops to send me (thank you).

I have so far lauched the software THEN turned the igintion on. I will try the other way around at lunch.

After all the things I've done that could go wrong (TPS sensor, crank sensor, TB removal, etc etc), it's when I do the coolant change that the dam light comes on? Go figure. I hate when things are not working on the bike, it bothers the crap out of me...kind of an obsession I guess. I'll have to make it home at lunch or I can't concentrate at work. Thanks again, I'll keep you posted, and sorry for flooding the forum with threads. It seems there are a bunch of thread started by me on the main Girly page. I'll try to tune it down a notch after this. Sorry.
2000 Tiger 885i

Timbox2

Quote from: "haroldo_psf"I also turned the ignition on with the fuel pump disconnected.

That'll be it I would guess
2016 Tiger Sport

Bixxer Bob

Haroldo, just turning on and off won't work.  Read the thread again; you have to go through a warm up to running temp and cool down again three times to clear it, or use the Tune ECU if you get it working.

Don't fret about it, three normal brief rides will do the job.

And yes, Tim's right, turning on with the sensor disconnected will generate a fault.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

haroldo_psf

I'm going home soon will ride the Tiger back to work. The manual says if the bike is ridden with the engine light ON, it will run in "limp" mode, whatever that means, but I guess I'll find out!

Ok, it sounds like it is just from turning the bike ON without the fuel pump and/or the fuel level sensor connected. I'm calm now  :lol:
2000 Tiger 885i

Bixxer Bob

As it's only logged the issue once it'll store it but ignore it,  you won't notice any difference.

Oh, and I notice from the Ebay bonanza that your ECU is not the same as mine....   :roll:

haroldo_psf

Went home at lunch and rode her to work... The warning light is still ON, but she rode perfectly. I'm sure nothing is wrong and like you said the light should go out after a couple more rides.
2000 Tiger 885i

haroldo_psf

Rode it the third time just now, light still ON. The stealer charges $200 dollars for "diagnostic".

All I want is for them to read the error code, and then clear it, if it is really about the fuel sensor. I will go there today, look them in the eye, and ask if they really want to charge me 2 hours of labor for something that takes 5 minutes. Stealers!
2000 Tiger 885i

Mustang

don't be so hasty it will go out ............it stores the fault until it is sure it's not coming back .

whats that old saying .........................

"a fool and  his money..............."

haroldo_psf

It went out! it's OFF!

It went out after the 4th ride, when I started the ignition going into the 5th.

I was at the stealer buying an extra radiator cap since I've read here they go bad and leave people stranded, and had just asked the service manager about clearing that code, an he quoted an hour of labor (100 bucks). Stealers!
2000 Tiger 885i

Bixxer Bob

are you sure she fully warmed up and cooled down between rides.  Trust me, three cycles works.

haroldo_psf

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"are you sure she fully warmed up and cooled down between rides.  Trust me, three cycles works.

Well, I rode 15 miles to work yesteday. 5 hours later I rode 15 miles back. This morning I rode 15 miles again. Then at lunch 4 hours later I rode another 15 miles to the dealer, light still ON. 20 mintues later when I was leaving, going into the 5th ride, the light went OFF.

you said 3 times, somebody else in the beginning of the thread said 5. If I average you two, I get 4, which is what it took  :lol:
2000 Tiger 885i