News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Motad Venom Can Help

Started by aesdj, October 28, 2010, 09:51:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aesdj

I've just got a Motad Venom GP Can and link pipe at a really good price. Looks really nice and with both the removable baffles in it still sounds lovely but I have two concerns.

1. Motad told me that as far as they are aware you don't need to alter the tune from standard even with both removable baffles taken out because the oxygen sensor with alter the amount of fuel it needs when it senses that its now getting more air which sounds fesable. There's a small diameter exit pipe that comes out to opens that end to its max and there's a taper'd baffle that's wedge in the inlet hole of the can that can be removed to make it a straight through race can. Now maybe with the exit baffle removed you won't need to alter anything but with both removed I'm sure you'd need the off road tune done. Is this right?

2. I'm going to run it with both baffles in because it sounds nice like that and I don't want excess noise/attention. I got it more far the look than the noise anyway. My idea is to put some new plugs in and then after 100 miles or so check the colour. If there a nice tan brown colour everythings running right and there's nothing to worry about. Do you think this is too simple a way of checking and if so how else can I see if its running ok.

Another option is to get a dealer to tune it or get one of those leads I've heard about and do it myself. WHAT DO YOU LOT THINK IS BEST?

Cos

Download TuneECU and load the TOR map.It's all free and all you have to buy is the cable to connect the ECU to your laptop.

The Tiger runs lean from the factory. Wake it up. That's what i'm going to do shortly.

Bixxer Bob

The dealer that told you the O2 sensor will compensate doesn't know much about Tigers.  It may be true for Triumphs with the Keihin ECUs but Sagems are not that clever.  The O2 sensor only detects rich or weak mix - not how much - and adjusts the trims over a very small part of the rev / engine load range.  Most of the time it's doing nothing.

You'll probably find it'll pop more on overrun and be a bit lumpy under 3k rpm on a light throttle with the new pipe. If so, you need to get the TOR tune.  As COS says, it's easy enough - once you've read all the supporting info.  But at the same time, don't touch if you're a complete novice with the I.T.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

aesdj

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"The dealer that told you the O2 sensor will compensate doesn't know much about Tigers.  It may be true for Triumphs with the Keihin ECUs but Sagems are not that clever.  The O2 sensor only detects rich or weak mix - not how much - and adjusts the trims over a very small part of the rev / engine load range.  Most of the time it's doing nothing.

You'll probably find it'll pop more on overrun and be a bit lumpy under 3k rpm on a light throttle with the new pipe. If so, you need to get the TOR tune.  As COS says, it's easy enough - once you've read all the supporting info.  But at the same time, don't touch if you're a complete novice with the I.T.

It was Motad themselves that said the o2 sensor would compensate which I tuck with a pinch of salt to be honest because they are not going to run every bike that they make an exhaust for on a dyno and set it up to run right because it would cost them to much. Do all U.K. Tigers run a Keihin ECU? If I get very little poping and it seems to run ok below 3k then leave it but you think it will need the TOR tune. My spark plug idea's no good then? Just read a little on the tune up software and it doesn't seem straight forward although I'll read it again when I can be arsed.

aesdj

Sorry I ment Sagem ECU'S.

Bixxer Bob

The plugs will give you an idea of how rich / lean it is, but as COS says, the standard map is lean anyway so they'll be pale even with the right map.

Tigers have SAGEM ECUs but two different types.  And they work in different ways.... :?

Fit the pipe and see what happens.  You'll know if anything is amiss more or less straight away then you'll know whether you need to do anything else.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Timbox2

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"The plugs will give you an idea of how rich / lean it is, but as COS says, the standard map is lean anyway so they'll be pale even with the right map.

Tigers have SAGEM ECUs but two different types.  And they work in different ways.... :?

Fit the pipe and see what happens.  You'll know if anything is amiss more or less straight away then you'll know whether you need to do anything else.

Maybe that explains why my Tiger bloke said you could adjust CO on the early Tigers but not the late ones?
2016 Tiger Sport

Bixxer Bob

Not sure what he meant to be honest.  CO can be adjusted with Tuneboy or (I think, as I've not actually tried) TuneECU.  And I'm sure I've read CO adjustment in the Triumph Gameboy manual.  I'll check later if I get a chance.