News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Sticking Throttle

Started by Rob501, October 04, 2004, 11:29:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob501

Hi Folks!

Winter's here in Lankysher! I don't think we're even going to get Autumn this year, never mind Summer. Lucky I have the Tiger, I don't like the look of them slow wobbly sports bikes in this weather! ;o)

However, I used my heated grips in anger for the first time yesterday! The problem is, not long after I'd turned them on, the throttle grip started to stick. The first eigth of a turn is free and the engine 'blips' nicely and the throttle springs back. Much further round, I can let go of the grip and the throttle doesn't return. I turned the heaters off but the throttle has continued to stiffen.

Unfortunately, as sods-law goes, when I got back, it was too dark and wet to start investigating. I hope it is just the throttle grip and not the cable or injector end! Has anyone else experienced this behaviour with or without using the heated grips and have they a solution?
Ciao

Rob!

New-Tiger

Yep. Same thing happens to me. When they heat up, the throttle sticks. I thought it was some sort of handy cold-weather cruise control.....

BP_LONDON

I must be lucky. Can have the heated grips on all the time and nothing sticks  :shock:  :o

NortonCharlie

Chances are the grip is a little long and binds with the bar end wieght when it warms up and expands.   When I put my heated grips on they bound cold.  I simply put a washer under the weight to shim it out a little.  The screw is plenty long.
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

Brock

Norton Charlie is about right...I had this problem, and solved it with a thin washer between the bar end weight and the bar . Never had it happen with my '01...must be a batch of slightly longer grips.
Chris

\"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.\" J R R Tolkein

Rob501

Quote from: "NortonCharlie"[...]I simply put a washer under the weight to shim it out a little.  The screw is plenty long.

Brilliant, job done in two minutes. Cheers m8!  8)
Ciao

Rob!

CormacG

Yep - I had the same problemo haven't got it fixed yet but I'll let Jack Lilley take care of it under warranty next time I have it serviced. I suppose if you ever wanted cruise control on your Tiger then this is it.

http://www.triumph-tiger.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=605
Drivers wearing hats are to be avoided.