News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Heated grip replacement/installation

Started by ArchRider, November 07, 2010, 06:14:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArchRider

I've been searching on the site for awhile now and haven't found what I am looking for.  I recently had a wreck due to an unobservant motorist and went down on my right side.  I thought I had only bent the bolt for my bar end but the bar is also bent.  I went to take off the throttle grip and found the wiring for the heated grip is fished through the inside of the bar and is preventing the grip from coming off.  What do I need to do to get the grips off so I can replace the bars?  Do I have to cut the grip off the heated portion so I can disconnect the wire?  Or do I have to scrap the entire heated grip set up and get a new one?  I hope not the latter.

I've also noticed that the Triumph handle bars are around $125 USD.  Would anyone recommend any other bar and will I need to do anything special with a new bar to fit the wiring from the OEM heated grips?  I know there are some threads addressing aftermarket bars but I'm asking agin to see whether there is any new information out there.

Timbox2

No, what you have to do is trace the wiring to behind the clocks, the grip wiring terminates in 2 little white plastic connector blocks, you do need to get the blocks off the terminals using a tiny screwdriver or similar, then just feed the wiring up and through the bars, a little tricky but Ive done it a couple of times. Getting them back through the hole in the bars is the worst bit, I use a paper clip pushed into the hole to grab the wires when you push them through.

PS: For info the L/H grip is held on with 2 little screws at the inboard end, the R/H is just held in place by the switch/throttle assy.

Ive got the fitting instructions as a PDF file if you want, PM me your email address and I'll send.

I had some aftermarket Renthal bars, but they were a real pain to modify by the way
2016 Tiger Sport