News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

More Power for '97???

Started by Cache, October 05, 2004, 07:59:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cache

IÌm thinking about squeezing a few more ponies out of my Ì97 Tiger.  Last year I had the cylinder head ports cleaned up, polished, and matched the carbs to the head.  She wants to breathe but is restricted by the blanking cap.  My question is this÷  Why do the manufactures restrict the air intake in the first place?  Will it affect the drivability in varying altitudes if I open her up and re-jet?  How does it affect the torque curve?  Are the carbs designed to have that negative restrictive environment??  

By any chance, have any of you posed these questions to DynoJet or K&N, or questioned why they only offer a Stage 1 jet kit?  Usually needles and jets are matched to ensure a smooth transition to WOT.  What is the result to the off idle/midrange by merely upgrading to the 130 DynoJet while using the Stage 1Ìs needle?  Any flat spots or rough running issues?  How about that little orifice you need to drill out for the piston/diaphragm assembly, does that need further tweaking beyond what DynoJet recommends?  

I searched the forums regarding camshaft swaps but could not find anything.  I swear that I read somewhere guys were swapping Daytona cams into the Tiger engines, or at least suggesting this.  Would the pistons and igniter need to be changed/upgraded as well?  Is this really worth it?  Has anyone here gone this far?  IÌm looking for 15-20 HP.

Cheers
\"Ah but fortunately... I have the key, to escape reality\" - John Prine

Badger

Sorry I cannot help with your airbox questions but you can put in cams from a speed triple but you do need to change the ignitor also.

Bob
Growing Old Disgracefully

Deltabox

Sure, easy:

1) Open up the second snorkel

2) Change main jets to Daytona size (sorry, I forgot the exact size) :oops:

3) Raise jet needles one notch

-> You'll get better throttle response and better breathing higher up in the rev range

Less easy:

4) Replace cams with those from Daytona 900 or Speedtriple 900

5) Replace CDI with one from Daytona/ST

6) Get some good aftermarket end cans

7) Get a K&N filter (or similar)

-> You're now up to roughly 100 horses

While you're at it:

8) Replace Pistons with High compression pistons from the Daytona Super III

-> Et Voil?: you'll end with something like 115-120 ponies

Oh, BTW: the closing of the second air intake is supposed to help low-end torque... (not that I noticed any drop when I opened it up and changed the jetting :wink: )
Red T400 (\'94)

Also: FZR 600 (\'91)

Badger

Deltabox

I have heard about opening up the snorkel. Does this apply on 955 Tigers as well :?:

Bob
Growing Old Disgracefully

Deltabox

Hi Bob,

No idea. However, the Trumpet engines are virtually identical to the other models in similar years of production (modular design, remember), so basically you could (in theory) swap bits back and forth from one engine type to the next. I can imagine that if you open the snorkel, add the cams and reprogram the EFI according to Daytona 955 specs, it should work.

That said, the shift mechanism on the T400 is different from that on the Daytona 900 so they're not 100% compatible... :?

To be honest, I don't really know the exact differences in later engines, so: no guarantees, and don't shoot me if it doesn't work.... :D
Red T400 (\'94)

Also: FZR 600 (\'91)

Cache

Cheers fellas.  I'll tinker with it this winter.  Appreciate the advise.
\"Ah but fortunately... I have the key, to escape reality\" - John Prine