News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

tigers in the snow

Started by rybes, November 20, 2010, 11:43:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rybes

mornin all :D

not very long from now, probly within the month i shall be leavin this chunk of dirt n fluff in the north sea (england) to move to be with the missus in Denmark.
obviously id have t change me tyres to somethin a bit more chunky than the anakees on there now, but what are tigers like in the snow n ice ? as i live on the east coast i dont often see much snow.
its either that a transalp or a ural sidecar outfit possibly even some kinda 250 two sroke. so who lives in snowy places n what experiences have ya had of tigers in wintery conditons.
thanks f ya help. also if ya know a way round the 180% import tax id be most happy to know it ;)

cheers

:D
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

NeilD

I think Rocinante is your man for that sort of madness!!  :D

http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,7023

Mustang

the front end will come out from under you very very very quickly !

even this one is kinda light on the front wheel

and you need screws in the tires or else studded tires ($$$$$$)

Rocinante

I don´t know which Tiger you have but my experience with the Steamer is that the centre of gravity is far too high up with the original setup. But if you can lower that (check how in the thread linked to higher up), and mount Trelleborg Army Special studded tyres (2mm studs, road legal) then it´s doable.

I´m sceptical to putting studs in summer knobbies after trying it for myself. At the time I thought it was alright, but when I got the Trelleborg which had tons of grip I realized how dangerous it was. The problem is that the rubber on summer tyres get very hard in cold weather and very little grip.

I just got back from a short ride today, and given the right conditions, ie light new snow on hard packed and even surface, it´s a hell of a lot of fun.
www.dagjen.no
Once upon a time through North and South America:
www.rocinantestravels.com

rybes

i forgot i posted this up.

cheers f ya replies and on that i dont think im gunna try mine out in the show. i remember its front slippin out in the wet so dunno what the snow will have t say. and i jus spent a pile of time n money on it so dunno if i wanna hurt it just yet :lol:
might have t start lookin for a diff bike t use in the snow ?

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "rybes".....might have t start lookin for a diff bike t use in the snow ?....

I'll get me coat.... :oops:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

rybes

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"
Quote from: "rybes".....might have t start lookin for a diff bike t use in the snow ?....

I'll get me coat.... :oops:

:ImaPoser  :ImaPoser  :ImaPoser you must know me in real life ? :lol:

rybes

rybes

ill find out soon enough. been told me tickets been booked for the 11th of december. thas when im off to denmark :D

found these too.
http://www.supatracks.com/best-grip-scr ... studs.html dont think i want any for me bike, too scared of droppin it. but as for me boots :D im off to go get some  8)  be ideal f walkin on frozken lakes when im kiddie curlin :lol:

Bixxer Bob

Good luck on your journey and in your new life mate,  don't forget to look in here when you're settled  :wink:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...