News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

chain and sprocket question

Started by kelpie_67, November 22, 2010, 03:55:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kelpie_67

Anyone change out their oem sprocket and chains for a different size combination but keep their lightly used original stuff? I'm being an optimist I know but poverty makes a hard master! If you have and are interested in clearing it out of your garage pm me- I'd be interested in buying them since my chain has now taken on the properties of a very tired elastic band due to me riding the stuffing out of my trumpet this year. Not much chance I know but hey if you don't ask....... I have a 2000 885i and am hoping, hoping, hoping!
2000 885i yellow - can you see me now?

Chris Canning

If your in the UK then your in luck because I have my original chain and sprockets that have done less than 15,000,but if your in the US  :(

kelpie_67

Chris Canning

£40 Thats 2 18t front sprockets an orginal part warn and a mint one and mint rear 46T and a half decent chain,and it's clean and never seen a winters day.

Collected

I'm at junction 7 on the M6,so if your passing or got a mate who is, or a granny in the Co-op who is  :D   your on a winner,but don't ask me to post cuz I can't be arsed.

kelpie_67

<sigh> Darn it - thanks anyway Chris. Anyone else out there?

Chris Canning

I suddenly realised looking at another posting you ain't UK  :roll: ,it's a shame folk don't take the time just to put which country their in!!

kelpie_67

Duly noted and rectified!

Putts255

Well I would have had a good solution for you but I passed on the deal someone offered me a month or so ago.  

He wanted $40 CDN $ for a front sprocket, rear sprocket and the chain off a 2006 Tiger with 17,000 km's on the clock.   I declined because my 2001 only has 6,000 km's and I will not need one for a couple years or longer.  

The issue is he has gone south for the winter and will not be back until April.  

Keep me in mind and remind me in April.  If he still has it I am sure we can work something out for you.  

Only thing you need to figure out is whether the sprockets and chain from a 2006 Tiger will fit your bike.  I dunno.  

Paul
Father of 2, married 28 years to fantastic woman, lots of toys and still lots of dreams....

"You're never too old to learn new things."
_____
2001 Triumph Tiger - Black

Biglad

Quote from: "Chris Canning"£40 Thats 2 18t front sprockets an orginal part warn and a mint one and mint rear 46T and a half decent chain,and it's clean and never seen a winters day.

Collected

I'm at junction 7 on the M6,so if your passing or got a mate who is, or a granny in the Co-op who is  :D   your on a winner,but don't ask me to post cuz I can't be arsed.

Hi Chris, is that lot still available? I know I'm in Ireland but I could get it shipped fairly handy as we have an office in the UK as well.

Cheers.
2001 955i Roulette Green

Chris Canning

It is,but it's a fair old weight to post,I dread to think how much and it ain't going to be cheap then,although I live at Junction 7 on the M6 if you have someone passing.

Biglad

Hi Chris, at 40 quid i think it's a good deal. Shipping shouldn't be that bad, you'll be surprised, did you ever weigh the bits together...ha ha

I'll have a word with our MD overthere to see when he's heading your way next and come back to you. That OK?

Edit; Chris, I'm just after reading again that the rear sprocket you have is a 46Teeth, is the standard sprocket for my 2001 bike not 48Teeth?

Edit, again; OK, 46T as a rear sprocket is standard for the early Girly. Front is 17 on mine...but changing that back to 18 should be OK. I find it all slightly confusing peeps lol
2001 955i Roulette Green

Danny955i

I snagged a -2 tooth Super Sprox from Bike Bandit, SunSprocket standard front sprocket and a -2 link DID x-ring chain all for about 250 bucks. Not bad considering.

I LOVE the supersprox rear sprocket. Bar none one of the best.

The REAR sprocket OEM is 50 bucks through triumph, the super-sprox was 60. AND, it's treated steel with an aluminum hub held together with titanium rivets. Not going anywhere and SUPER light... also much stronger than a vortex solid aluminum piece.

Chris Canning

Thats a might expensive way of changing the gearing,when you can change an engine sprocket for peanuts.

Biglad

That sound costly alright. I've since discovered that mine is all standard when it comes to the gearing. I'll be doing mostly narrow twisty roads up here with a bad surface. Need to get some miles up to get a feel for before any changes would be considered.
2001 955i Roulette Green

blacktiger

Quote from: "Danny955i"I snagged a -2 tooth Super Sprox from Bike Bandit, SunSprocket standard front sprocket and a -2 link DID x-ring chain all for about 250 bucks. Not bad considering.

I LOVE the supersprox rear sprocket. Bar none one of the best.

The REAR sprocket OEM is 50 bucks through triumph, the super-sprox was 60. AND, it's treated steel with an aluminum hub held together with titanium rivets. Not going anywhere and SUPER light... also much stronger than a vortex solid aluminum piece.

Is it true that these SuperSprox are supposed to last forever?
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.