News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

brakes seizing in cold weather

Started by flaco, December 05, 2010, 06:40:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flaco

Rode down from Wiltshire on the first day of the freeze-up. Noticeable resistance from brakes while manoeuvring bike from parking-space and stopping at lights through town. After a little bit of town use, though, they freed up and were fine for the rest of the 200 mile journey. I however froze my arse off.
Same  thing happened when I had to use the bike last week- initial seizing followed by freeing-up after a few stops and starts.
Is this caused by metal expansion in the extreme cold? The bike is kept in a covered car-bay and the temperature in there was way below zero at night. We don't do below zero here in Cornwall.
kernow bys vyken

Nick Calne

It's just Wiltshire.  It does that sort of thing.  It's the ancient monuments and the crop circles.... :roll:

Next time just pull in and I'll give you the magic anti-jinx potion.  A bacon sarny and a hairdryer to defrost the brakes.
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

Bixxer Bob

I think not metal expansion as it shrinks with the cold, expands if it gets hot.

There are lots of things it could be though:

Pistons partial seizing in the calipers - are they crudded up?

Pad retaining pins and pads foating freely - again, are they crudded up?

Floating caliper guide (under the rubber boot) - is water getting in and freezing?

Pads sticking to the discs if it's been put aaway wet?

All of the above get worse if there's salt involved.... :roll:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

flaco

Thanks Bob- physics was never my strong point. The pistons and callipers have been cleaned up recently. I think you might be right about water getting in there and freezing, though. I'll check.
Thanks for the offer, Nick. I'm not planning on coming up to Wiltshire until the temperature rises, when I'll visit my old mum in Chippenham and maybe give you a shout. You also might have a point- I did spend some time wandering round Avebury while I was there.
Thanks, both.
kernow bys vyken