News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tiger p**sing coolant

Started by daveb, December 07, 2010, 10:04:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daveb

going to order the thermostat tomorrow from Fowlers, lets see how long the part takes.

daveb

good news Fowlers in Bristol have the thermostat in stock, so I should receive it by Wednesday.

now a quick question about the thermostat.  there is a plate attached to a spring with 2 tabs on it (silver / grey coloured), do there fit onto the ribs inside the housing, or doesn't matter, the ribs are only there for thermostat orientation and strength the rear housing.

Bixxer Bob

Dave,  I've not had mine apart so can only advise based on 'stats I've handled in the past.  All of them had lugs, and in all cases the lugs located in notches in the housing.  They seemed to be for orientation, although I never could see why it would matter.  

It should only be a case of simply putting the new one in the way the old one came out.  You did make a note or take a photo didn't you?    :wink:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

daveb

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"Dave,  I've not had mine apart so can only advise based on 'stats I've handled in the past.  All of them had lugs, and in all cases the lugs located in notches in the housing.  They seemed to be for orientation, although I never could see why it would matter.  

It should only be a case of simply putting the new one in the way the old one came out.  You did make a note or take a photo didn't you?    :wink:

er.er.er. :oops:   nope, as I removed the housing the thermostat fell out of position, hence the post    :oops:

Bixxer Bob

Have a look at the parts drawing here Dave, item 3, that should be enough to go on:

http://www.originaltriumphparts.info/tr ... _03=232917
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

daveb

Cheers Bob, that drawing is ok but cant see the tags on item 3, will have a closer look tonight when I get home.

Bixxer Bob

True, but you can see the spigot on the front end  :wink:

daveb

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"True, but you can see the spigot on the front end  :wink:

Bob you make my laugh :ImaPoser   , I knew which way faced the front of the bike, as in that part of the housing there is a brass bush which is insert moulded in to the central area.  

its the tags / flange at the other end, I will just have to wing it....  :thumbsup

I will take photos when I open it up again for future reference for one and all   :wink:

daveb

rad cap arrived in this mornings mail,  :D  post marked 19th january 2011.  What TF, it was supposed to have been dispatched on Friday  not Wednesday

daveb

I did struggle as I has water dripping out from the housing, stripped it down 3 or 4 or 5 times, turns out the o ring had fallen out and was sitting on the engine side of the housing.  all sorted now. I have run the engine up to fan cut in temperature a couple of time, so steam and its has not taken the water from expansion bottle. so new thermostat and Rad Cap have cured my problems, the only problem is I got the Engine warning light on.

I am sure I read somewhere I can turn it off by doing something simple, so the search is on.

here are the ribs inside the housing

back together

blacktiger

Quote from: "daveb"the only problem is I got the Engine warning light on.

I am sure I read somewhere I can turn it off by doing something simple, so the search is on.

It's because you unplugged the battery and it'll go off after two or three rides.......assuming there's nothing major wrong.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

daveb

Cheers Blacktiger, I owe you a coffee or something like that

Bixxer Bob

See,  I knew you'd figure it out  :lol:

daveb

yep Bob, the tags on the thermostat sit on the ribs, so we all know how they fit for the future.  :D

I posted on here and on the Rat site, so thanks everyone for help and support.

KuzzinKenny

I was down the garage today to give me Tigger battery a boost and there was a pool of blue on the floor below the left side of the radiator  :shock:

hope its just the cold !!

KK
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly