News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

HID Lighting - thoughts and ideas

Started by Bixxer Bob, December 12, 2010, 09:09:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bixxer Bob

Sparked (groan...) by Chris Canning's question on HIDing his Girly, and a latent plan to do mine, I thought I'd kick off a thread.

A quick look for H4 HID kits as produced this:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/H4-H4-3-Bi-Xenon- ... 4cec24c1c5

They have very thin ballasts so should be eassy enough to find a home for them.

These bulbs work the same as the ones in my Nissan 4x4 in that when you change from dip to main they move a shield around the bulb to give the right pattern.  This avoids the warm-up time HIDS need when flashing main beam.  This works ok on cars no doubt, and should work on the Tigger as the standard H4 bulb relies on two filaments - one shielded, one not - for dip and main.  So far so good, but many of us use an extra relay set to allow both lamps to illuminate on dip and main.  If I remember  rightly, and I'm happy to be corrected here, the lamp glass is specifically shaped to be either a left dipping or right dipping lense and so you actually have two dipped or two main beams, but one of the dips is always wrong and can dazzle oncoming traffic.  The problem I can see with this is that whilst we'd get away with this with an ordinary bulb (I've not had any problems so far - touch wood) I think a HID bulb could potentially draw too much attention and a ticket.

I suppose the "wrong" dip could be screened out with a European light filter for driving on the right abroad, but MOT time could get interesting...

Thoughts???
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

John Stenhouse

Two thoughts, and one of them isn't popular.
1/ HID lights on anything that doesn't either self level or have self levelling headlights are illegal. Not popular, but true, I hate these lights if they are badly set at all they are blinding. Even if they're set properly half the population doesn't seem to know where tha dip switch is!  :evil:

2/ As for the lens thing, since my 885i came from the factory with both lights working all the time as standard can you say for certain the later lenses were different? I'm not sure without putting an 885 and a 955 side by side.
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

KuzzinKenny

Have a wee looky here...........

http://www.bikevis.com/store.html

they have some nice lights !!

KK
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "KuzzinKenny"Have a wee looky here...........

KK

Nice site Kenny!

Quote from: "John Stenhouse"1/ HID lights on anything that doesn't either self level or have self levelling headlights are illegal. Not popular, but true, I hate these lights if they are badly set at all they are blinding. Even if they're set properly half the population doesn't seem to know where tha dip switch is!  

Good point well made John.  It's wise to be clear to anyone contemplating HIDs that they are indeed illegal on new vehicles unless fitted as John describes.  To the best of my knowledge, the retrofitting of HIDs is still a grey area as it hasn't been tested in court; but as usual I'm happy to be corrected.  My 'Bird still sails through it 's MOT though... :roll:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

NKL

Does anybody know how they react to being turned on then off then on again when you go through the start up when Triumph can't be arsed to provide an on-off switch for the headlights
I\'m immortal..........well so far!!!
-----------------------------------
\'08 KTM 990 Adventure
\'91 Black XTZ 750
\'10 TM 250 EN
\'07 CCM 404
Renault Traffic 100

Chris Canning

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"

KK

Nice site Kenny!

Quote from: "John Stenhouse"1/ HID lights on anything that doesn't either self level or have self levelling headlights are illegal. Not popular, but true, I hate these lights if they are badly set at all they are blinding. Even if they're set properly half the population doesn't seem to know where tha dip switch is!  

Good point well made John.  It's wise to be clear to anyone contemplating HIDs that they are indeed illegal on new vehicles unless fitted as John describes.  To the best of my knowledge, the retrofitting of HIDs is still a grey area as it hasn't been tested in court; but as usual I'm happy to be corrected.  My 'Bird still sails through it 's MOT though... :roll:

Illegal  :D ,if thats the worse I ever do I'll be more than happy,nice sentiment John,but having had a life time of being persecuted for riding a bike doesn't even come on the scale of considerations.

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "NKL"Does anybody know how they react to being turned on then off then on again when you go through the start up when Triumph can't be arsed to provide an on-off switch for the headlights

Another good point that I'd missed because I've fitted a ligth switch to my 2005 Girly.  My Blackbird hates it.  You turn the ign on, HIDs spark up. Press starter, engine fires up HIDs go out.  HIDs won't fire for a minute or two which I thought was due to colling down, but having read the other post of fault finding, might be down to low volts as the battery recovers  :roll:  More investigative work to do..... :?

daveb

KK

I know one of the guys who has used these guys previously, he recommends them, his bike is on their site, sorry its not a Tiger but its a TDM900

http://www.bikevis.com/forum/index.php?topic=209.0

Chris Canning

Quote from: "NKL"Does anybody know how they react to being turned on then off then on again when you go through the start up when Triumph can't be arsed to provide an on-off switch for the headlights

Another good point that I'd missed because I've fitted a ligth switch to my 2005 Girly.  My Blackbird hates it.  You turn the ign on, HIDs spark up. Press starter, engine fires up HIDs go out.  HIDs won't fire for a minute or two which I thought was due to colling down, but having read the other post of fault finding, might be down to low volts as the battery recovers  :roll:  More investigative work to do..... :?

Now for what ever reason mine on the BM isn't like that,it takes a millisecond to spark up,no matter what the circumstance.

John Stenhouse

Quote from: "Chris Canning"Illegal  :D ,if thats the worse I ever do I'll be more than happy,nice sentiment John,but having had a life time of being persecuted for riding a bike doesn't even come on the scale of considerations.

Ever thought that decisions like that might be why you've been persecuted all your life?

I personally find it f%$£^&g annoying when some twat rides towards me with badly adjusted super bright headlights dazzling me.

Hey maybe I'm just a sesitive soul  :lol: Told you it wasn't popular
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Chris Canning

Quote from: "John Stenhouse"
Quote from: "Chris Canning"Illegal  :D ,if thats the worse I ever do I'll be more than happy,nice sentiment John,but having had a life time of being persecuted for riding a bike doesn't even come on the scale of considerations.

Ever thought that decisions like that might be why you've been persecuted all your life?

I personally find it f%$£^&g annoying when some twat rides towards me with badly adjusted super bright headlights dazzling me.

Hey maybe I'm just a sesitive soul  :lol: Told you it wasn't popular

Starting as a 16 year old who couldn't find his backside with either hand,I don't remember holding any grudges against anything or anyone,that soon changed the moment I got on a motorcyle,from being run off the road,to just being flatly refused service,it still goes on even today.

Toddington services wouldn't switch the pump on without me taking my crash helmet off,even though my wife was in the queue ready to pay  :twisted: ,no I wouldn't do it.

Almost certainley I'm that twat with badly ajusted headlight thats just come up behind you,get TF out of the way and there's not a problem I'll be gone in a milli second,unless you want to make an issue of it  :D ,I've had a steep learning curve over 41 years of riding,the art of survival is look after number one, and F the rest of e'm,yes you should get out more  :D

Having had an HID on my BM for years,just can't work out why I haven't put one on the Tiger,they truely are a wonder  :oops:

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "Chris Canning"

Now for what ever reason mine on the BM isn't like that,it takes a millisecond to spark up,no matter what the circumstance.

May be because mine, despite the Bosch labels,  are cheap Chinese jobs???  :oops:

Chris Canning

It's embarrassing even posting it,but look at the size of the ballast box,how times move on e'h,but still works well.

Bixxer Bob

That's a MASSIVE ballast box, where on earth do you put the fuel?? :?

Chris Canning

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"That's a MASSIVE ballast box, where on earth do you put the fuel?? :?

Funny init how Honda owners have such a great imagination,bit of a contradiction in words :P