News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Introducing myself

Started by dave NL, January 07, 2011, 08:41:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dave NL

Hi

I`m Dave and living in holland. Just got my first tiger, it is a steamer I found out  :wink: Its a red 1994 model.

I got this bike suddenly, I inherited it from a relative.

When we picked up the tiger it was sitting under a cover, it is quit unbelievable it was sitting outside for 16 years . It had done about 5750km on the clock   So it only had the 1000km service!! Anyway it looked like the bike was ready for the scrapyard; thick layer of dust, corroded bolt heads, tires flat, battery dead (duh), and real bad smelling gas. Later we found in the papers it had its 1000km service in 1995, one year after purchase.

When we got home I could not resist to blow some air into the tires, pushing it is easier anyway, and pressure wash the bike. After just the pressure wash we started to smile a bit, it was turning in to something rather good to see! But I also saw the the spokes are rusted on both wheels and the front wheel has some corrosion on the outer rim.

Next day I bought a new battery and my father supplied oil and filter, thats nice! Put in the battery, opened the carbs a bit to fill and tried to start, nothing....hmm lets drain the fuel and put new fuel in. And presto it turned over on the choke! Some throttle and it stalled, that stayed that way so no test run. Next day I removed the carbs (thx mustang for the write up, removing was a walk in the park!) Cleaned them and its running! not great but ok, need to get some cleaner to throw in the gas tank and go riding for 100km or so, see what happens, should be better.

Anyway I will post some pic`s soon, nice to see there are enthusiasts for these bikes!
Getting the tiger back on the road.

NeilD

welcome to the forum!

good choice of bike.. although I suppose it chose you really! 8)

yep we like pictures..  :D

chairhead

Welcome to the forum Dave,
i hope this project comes to fruition for you,
cant wait for the photos :thumbsup
03 Girly Roulette Green with a Hedingham ETH
TOR can
Wilbers shock & wasp L/L forks
Taylormade Billet wheel

dave NL

Some shitty pic, tomorrow i will make some by daylight. I took out the bike for about 30km today, it`s getting loose, not quit there yet!

NKL

I've heard of cats choosing their owners before, just not metal ones
I\'m immortal..........well so far!!!
-----------------------------------
\'08 KTM 990 Adventure
\'91 Black XTZ 750
\'10 TM 250 EN
\'07 CCM 404
Renault Traffic 100

chairhead

Well!,
for a bike of that age and given some that its life has been lived under cover,and that the pics are not great quality..............it looks fantastic,
you're a lucky man Dave :wink:
03 Girly Roulette Green with a Hedingham ETH
TOR can
Wilbers shock & wasp L/L forks
Taylormade Billet wheel

Bixxer Bob

It's some credit to Triumph that it spent 16 years under a cover and all it needed to come up looking like that was a wash!!!

Like Chairhead says, lucky man!!
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Nick Calne

Oh wow what a find! So cool  8)
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

Biglad

Hi Dave, you lucky sod, nice bike, best of luck with her.

I've only taken posession of my Girly yesterday and I have plenty of work to do. Good to see another Dutchman on here!!

Groeten uit Ierland.
2001 955i Roulette Green

zombie2

Nice score
that thing looks pretty clean

aeronca

Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

dave NL

Thx for the welcome!

Here are some pics I took today, although the shitty weather!

Mustang

that front rim needs to go to the bin it looks as it could come apart at any time as well as both tires must be hard as rocks being 17 years old ...................nice score , too bad it was kept outside .
I haven't seen a speedometer on a steamer with so few miles in quite awhile

check out this thread for something similar to your new acquisition.
http://tigertriple.com/forum/viewtopic. ... light=yapi

dave NL

Thats about a full rebuild! Looks good, BruKen certainly deserves credit for a build like that!

I must say that my bike is better conserved, all the engine covers are still ok in the paint, only the bolt heads are brown, that goes for the bolts of the fairing too. Some good power brushing and some paint (found some real good black paint for these jobs, doesn`t even need primer!) For the engine cover bolts I will use zink/alu spray, that comes out as stock! Or change to St.st. but im a sucker for stock!

For the engine only a good service will do just fine, 5750km is nothing, and when I read the topic of BruKen there is no real reason to open up if nothing is noticeably wrong there.

The wheels, it`s funny to see BruKen has the same picture posted!! Namely the corrosion where the rim is welded together! But its not so deep in the rim so im not going to replace it yet, also the spokes are not as bad as I saw on the pictures of BruKen`s bike (no offence btw). So for now I will leave it, but I saw a good wheel supplier in Holland who does wheels for dirt bikes for the pro`s. Maybe it is a good idea to change to 3" on the front wheel and 4,5" at the back!  

Another reason I will not (yet) rebuild the bike is that I have a Toyota supra which I`m fully re-building at the moment, first I have to finish this (huge)project, also a '96 kawa zx9-r is sitting in the garage which needs some attention! So I have to be carefull not to take to much projects  :roll:

NeilD

Quote from: "dave NL"..... the corrosion where the rim is welded together! But its not so deep in the rim so im not going to replace it yet, also the spokes are not as bad as I saw on the pictures of BruKen`s bike (no offence btw). So for now I will leave it,

have a good look inside when you change the tyres as the original rims tend to rot from the inside outwards..  :wink: