News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Started by yack_ass, January 09, 2011, 03:48:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yack_ass

Don't want to open a new thread:

Is it possible to get the pistons out of the engine case without removing them of the cranck shaft? I was thinkig if it is possible to just jank the whole crank shaft - conection rod - piston assembly out?

Kind of lifting it up? It would make my life a hell of a lot easier :)

Bixxer Bob

Not open a new thread... why not? It costs nothing and when Mustang sees this you might not get any choice, this is a good "how to" thread that doesn't need any distracting discussion.  Just saying....

I'll give you my two penn'th in a new thread though :lol:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Bixxer Bob

Yakass asked in the piston ring sticky why not just pull the crank, rods and pistons as a set.  

My two penn'th - it'll probably come out ok, and the advantage is you don't disturb the head or liners so shuoldn't need to reseal.  BUT there doesn't look to be a lot of space in there and I can imagine getting the rings back in the bores corectly without breaking one would be hardship of the highest order.  There's probably loads of other points I don't know about 'cos I've never had mine apart so would value the comments of those that have. :)
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

zombie2

okay just looked at your pic and the problem as bixxer bob mentions is getting the rings back in without damaging them.
Anything is possible but I'm not sure how you can compress the rings to slide them into the liners.

yack_ass

:oops:  :oops:  :oops:

I didn't want to open a new thread because my intention is to get to the piston rings (but I forgot to mention that in my haste  :oops: )

I see the problem now yes.

Advwannabe

Forgive me if I speak in ignorance, but when you refit new pistons and rings don't you install them from the crank end where the bore is slightly bigger?

It would make life easier if you removed the pistons from the crank before you installed them, but apart from that I can't see an issue?
No good deed goes unpunished
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180

NKL

Also assuming you have no wear ridge at the top of the bore that the new rings will hit, or needs de-glazing
I\'m immortal..........well so far!!!
-----------------------------------
\'08 KTM 990 Adventure
\'91 Black XTZ 750
\'10 TM 250 EN
\'07 CCM 404
Renault Traffic 100