News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tell me about custom suspensions

Started by brad1098, January 19, 2011, 03:27:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brad1098

Im intrugued, so tell me your experience with a tweaked suspension.  I consider my Girle to be "just fine" for my style of riding.  So tell me how a big $$ would enhance my experience, make me want to ride more, feel better after 300 miles of twisties, perform better on gravel roads, etc.

A cusom rear shock on Adv right now.  The guy spent $700, selling for $525.  Thats a large percentage of the value of my whole bike?

Then wouldn't I need to match the front forks to the rear setup?
02 black-Lorna

John Stenhouse

I was like you Brad, then the rear shock on my 885 decided to become non functional.
Bought and installed a White Power rear shock and then wondered how I ever rode without one. Simply like chalk and cheese, 10-15 mph faster everywhere in complete safety.
Yes it's always a good idea to firm up the front at the same time but not really necessary.
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Chris Canning

Quote from: "brad1098"Im intrugued, so tell me your experience with a tweaked suspension.  I consider my Girle to be "just fine" for my style of riding.  So tell me how a big $$ would enhance my experience, make me want to ride more, feel better after 300 miles of twisties, perform better on gravel roads, etc.

A cusom rear shock on Adv right now.  The guy spent $700, selling for $525.  Thats a large percentage of the value of my whole bike?

Then wouldn't I need to match the front forks to the rear setup?

You know if I had a pound for everytime I've been asked that question I'd be a millionaire,but it's not that question that drive me nuts,it's the 'I can't beleave difference' that comes after.

I have a friend who changes his VFR's every 2 years,I don't need aftermarket suspension,I don't ride hard enough has always been his reply,after probably 10 years of trying to convince him, for what ever reason!! asked me to sort him a Wilbers rear shock last year.

After riding the bike his was that taken aback at the difference,told me it was my fault that he hadn't bought one earlier,I should have been trying harder to convince him  :evil:

Bixxer Bob

I have a foot in both camps Chris.  I don't hate the suspension on the Tiger enough to do anything about it (19k miles) whereas opinion has it that the 'Bird suspension is all done by 25k.  However, it still took a trip to the IOM at about 35k miles to realise.  I rode harder over the mountain than I'd ever ridden in the uk and it felt like I was riding a plank.

Two years later I went back having put Hyperpro springs in the front and a Hagon on the back (bargain basement I admit, but still better than the original).  At first I didn't notice any real difference, but eventually found that the suspension kind of comes to you the harder you ride it.  ZAnd the faster you go the better it gets.

From the pillion point of view, my wife likes the Hagon too, she reckons it doesn't kick as hard over potholes as the original.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

HappyMan

We need Sasquatch to chime in on this one.  :D
Life is hard.  It\'s even harder if you\'re stupid. - John Wayne

Life\'s too short......Let\'s ride! - HappyMan

http://ridedualsport.com

brad1098

My thoughts exactly......Sasquatch?

Its a Works Performance shock.

Owner says its set up for 225 lbs. Im only 185 plus gear and junk.

$500 is still alot of dough.  Well more than my new rifle for chasing elk this fall.
02 black-Lorna

John Stenhouse

Give the Elk a break, leave the rifle in the shop and buy the shock instead, you'll thank me after  8)
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Chris Canning

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"I have a foot in both camps Chris.  I don't hate the suspension on the Tiger enough to do anything about it (19k miles) whereas opinion has it that the 'Bird suspension is all done by 25k.  However, it still took a trip to the IOM at about 35k miles to realise.  I rode harder over the mountain than I'd ever ridden in the uk and it felt like I was riding a plank.

Two years later I went back having put Hyperpro springs in the front and a Hagon on the back (bargain basement I admit, but still better than the original).  At first I didn't notice any real difference, but eventually found that the suspension kind of comes to you the harder you ride it.  ZAnd the faster you go the better it gets.

From the pillion point of view, my wife likes the Hagon too, she reckons it doesn't kick as hard over potholes as the original.

There's a down side to all of this,I have Ohlins on my Tiger and my 1100s,but Wilbers on my K1200 my wife hates the Wilbers with a passion because the compression and rebound is combined I'm unable to tune one without the other and she can tell the difference even on the back,it's an extra on the Wilbers,it'll have to wait I'm afraid I've spent enough this winter on bikes  :oops:

outrunner

I am with brad1098 and Bixxer Bob on this as I am quite happy with the suspension on my 06 Tiger although now with 42000 on the clock the rear is getting a bit past it. With all the talk of fitting aftermarket shocks does anyone have a good standard shock they want to sell? :) The standard shock will do for me as I ride like an old woman anyway.  :?

Andy
Every day above ground is a good day!

Chris Canning

You'd have to check if all the 955's use the same shock(it's off an 01),knowing what a bunch of cheap skates Triumph are i'd imagine so,never seen a winters days in it's life,if I remember it's done about 8000 miles,£100 collected,by the weight I'd say post will be around 20 quid.

Sasquatch

I'm here.

I did not want to post since I am VERY biased.  But since you asked, I will.

Please, remember that this is my business, and I have been doing it a long time.  So I am biased, but I will try and be objective.

It makes a HUGE difference.  There, hows that?  :twisted:

Really, it is.  I dont know how many customers have drug their heels, not wanting to spend the $$, tried to talk themselves out of it, then into it, then out of it, etc.  Then they finally pop for either me doing their stock shock or replacing it with a Hyperpro.  They then call or send me an email yelling at me (in a joking manner) about not making them buy it earlier.

99% of stock suspensions are merely "ok".  And some are flat pitiful.  When you get a quality suspension that is set up for you and how you ride it, the difference is surreal.  Just think of this.  Most factory suspensions are set up for a 165 pound rider, how much do you weigh?  The stock rear spring on a Vstrom is about a 7 kg/mm.  For your average 200lb rider, I install a 9.6 kg/mm spring.  See how far the stock one was off???

My last parting thought, until the questions come...

The best suspension you know, is merely the best suspension you have ridden.

brad1098

thanks Sasq.

Your answer was about right on to what I expected.  Ya see, Im 180# have my stock suspension cranked all the way up for pillion+luggage and it seems "just right"

I know a custom jobber would be better, butttttt how much $$ are we talking?  The only reason Im considering is I have absolutely no plans to sell the ol' Girl. Another .5 in. drop would be a huge benefit for me also.

I know EB had his 1050 done and he couldnt go on enough about how much difference it made.  He also is 6'9" and 230#

Hmmmmmmm
02 black-Lorna

Chris Canning

Do you have a link to this shock,I can't find it.

Chris Canning

For others.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthre ... iger+shock

No remote preload,no remote reservoir

I'd spend my money the rifle  :(

brad1098

Hahaa.  Rifle for sure.  Been wanting to find a Knight for many years now.

I shoot Muzzleloaders in competetion.  I have a built 40cal. target rifle. Typically use a traditional Thompson Center Hawken percussion gun to hunt elk in Colorado.

Knight built a limited few Long Range hunters and Master hunters in 50cal with thumbhole stock.  Quality through the roof, hence the $800 new price tag, the reason few were sold, partial reason Knight went out of business, and THE reason they are damn hard to find now.  Im on a mission I will have my Knight.  8)
02 black-Lorna